The FDA Grand Rounds is an educational presentation that is webcast monthly to highlight cutting-edge research underway across the Agency and its impact on protecting and advancing public health. Each session features an FDA scientist presenting on a key public health challenge and how FDA is applying science to its regulatory activities. The 45-minute educational presentation is followed by questions from the audience. You can also view the presentation under Past Grand Rounds following the live webcast. #FDAGrandRounds.
The next FDA Grand Rounds is scheduled for April 8, 2021. (Webcast only)
For more information and to register:
Thursday, April 8, 2021
12:00 p.m. - 1:00 p.m. EST
Karen Coyne, Ph.D.
Associate Director, Division of Product Science, Office of Science
Center for Tobacco Products (CTP)
Selena M. Russell, Ph.D.
Senior Chemist, Division of Product Science, Office of Science
Center for Tobacco Products (CTP)
About the Presentation:
This presentation will discuss the reports of injuries and other adverse experiences resulting from the failures of batteries used in electronic nicotine delivery systems (ENDS; e.g., e-cigarettes) to the government agencies and news outlets from 2009-2017.
In response, FDA-CTP engaged in public education, outreach and also developed an infographic to advise the public on how to avoid tobacco product related battery explosions. Additionally, FDA-CTP convened a public workshop (Battery Safety Concerns in Electronic Nicotine Delivery Systems (ENDS) Public Workshop, April 2017) and opened a public docket to request information on issues related to batteries used in ENDS. The workshop and the docket enabled FDA-CTP to gather information related to electrical safety concerns in battery-operated tobacco products (e.g., overheating, fire, explosion), risk mitigation, and design parameters.
- Studies of SARS-CoV-2 NSP1 and Envelope Protein
- Research and Development of Radioanalytical Capabilities for Detection of Radionuclides in Food
- FDA Grand Rounds: The CORE Network (or How I Learned to Love Lettuce…)
- Assessment of Safety and Efficacy of Fecal Microbiota for Transplantation Products
- Facial Coverings During the COVID-19 Pandemic: How well do they flatten the curve?
- Bioequivalence of Complex Topical Generics: In Vitro and In Vivo
- Advancing the Science of Real-World Data to Address the COVID-19 Pandemic
- Nanotechnology: Over a Decade of Progress and Innovation at FDA
- A Pandemic and a Call to Action for One Health: The FDA One Health Initiative
- Artificial Intelligence for Regulatory Science Research
- Analysis of Per and Polyfluoroalkyl Substances (PFAS) in foods- Analytical method development, challenges and successes
- Modernization of Pharmaceutical Manufacturing through the Adoption of Advanced Technology
- Detection of Transmissible Spongiform Encephalopathy Agents in Biological Products Using Protein Aggregation Assays
- Quality Control: Stopping infections before they happen through safer endoscope reprocessing
- Vet-LIRN – How FDA’s Network of Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratories advance animal food safety and public health by conducting outbreak investigations and monitoring resistance in animal pathogens
- Technical and Logistical Considerations for Examining FDA-Regulated Products at International Mail Facilities using Handheld and Field-Portable Analytical Devices
- Jerky Pet Treats and illness in dogs: a collaborative approach to investigating a mysterious outbreak
- Decomposition of Seafood Products by Mass Spectrometry with Sensory-Driven Predictive Modeling
- The Science to Inform a Tobacco Product Standard for the Level of Nicotine in Combusted Cigarettes
- Bisphenol A: Toxicology and Pharmacokenetic Data to Inform Ongoing Safety Assessments
- How Simulation Can Transform Regulatory Pathways
- FDA's Predictive Toxicology Roadmap: Implications and Opportunities for Stakeholders
- Are Stem Cells Ready for Prime Time? A Look at FDA Research Advances in Regenerative Medicine
- Ethnicity- and Gender-Related Differences in Alzheimer's Disease
- Assessing the Safety and Effectiveness of New and Emerging Therapeutic Ultrasound Technologies
- Developing a Mechanistic Model-Based Approach to Assess Cardiac Safety of New Drugs
- Genome Trakr: How a Large Network of Sequencing Laboratories is Transforming Food Safety and Public Health
- Serious and Actionable Risks, Plus Disclosure: investigating an Alternative Approach for Presenting Risk Information in Prescription Drug TV Ads
- Vaccine adjuvants: New ways to evaluate their safety and effectiveness
- Developing Regulatory Methods for Characterizing Nanomaterials in FDA-Regulated Products
- The Host Response to Whooping Cough Infection and Vaccination [Archived]
- Antibiotic resistance surveillance in the age of genomics: New answers to old questions [Archived]
- FDA Research into 3D Printing of its Regulated Products [Archived]
- Rapid Screening of Dietary Supplements for Undeclared Ingredients [Archived]
- Metabolomics and Proteomics Biomarkers: Discovery and Validation in Toxicity Studies [Archived]