U.S. flag An official website of the United States government
  1. Home
  2. Food
  3. Resources for You (Food)
  4. Industry and Consumer Assistance from CFSAN
  1. Resources for You (Food)

Industry and Consumer Assistance from CFSAN

Get answers to your questions from the CFSAN Food & Cosmetic Information Center (FCIC)


The Center for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition, known as CFSAN, provides services to consumers, domestic and foreign industry and other outside groups regarding field programs; agency administrative tasks; scientific analysis and support; and policy, planning and handling of critical issues related to food, dietary supplements, and cosmetics.

To reach us by telephone:
1-888-SAFEFOOD (1-888-723-3366)
10:00 AM - 4:00 PM ET
Closed Thursdays 12:30 PM – 1:30 PM ET

To write us by mail:
U.S. Food and Drug Administration
Center for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition
Outreach and Information Center
5001 Campus Drive, HFS-009
College Park, MD 20740-3835

Note: Please do not mail products to this address.

Contacting Us About FSMA

The FDA Food Safety Modernization Act (FSMA), the most sweeping reform of our food safety laws in more than 70 years, was signed into law by President Obama on January 4, 2011.

It aims to ensure the U.S. food supply is safe by shifting the focus from responding to contamination to preventing it.

Learn about How to Contact FDA About FSMA.

Report a Complaint

Frequently Requested Information

Information for Industry

Information for Consumers

Resources from Other Government Agencies

Report a Complaint

How to Report a Problem with Food

  • For all questions or problems related to meat and poultry, please contact USDA.
  • If you are a consumer, health professional, or member of the food industry who wants to voluntarily report a complaint or adverse event (illness or serious allergic reaction) related to a food product, you have three choices:
  • If you are a member of the food industry who needs to submit a Reportable Food Registry report when there is a reasonable probability that an article of food will cause serious adverse health consequences or death to humans or animals, please visit the Reportable Food Registry page.

How to Report Seafood-Related Toxin and Scombrotoxin Fish Poisoning Illnesses

To help FDA effectively investigate, remove unsafe seafood products from the market, and develop new prevention strategies, the FDA relies on illness reporting from public health officials and healthcare providers. While most foodborne outbreaks are tracked through the FDA’s Coordinated Outbreak Response and Evaluation (CORE) network, seafood-related illnesses caused by natural toxins have a unique reporting mechanism.

How to Report a Problem with Dietary Supplements

  • If you are a consumer or health professional who wants to voluntarily report defects in the quality or safety of a dietary supplement or an adverse event (illness or serious allergic reaction) related to a dietary supplement, please visit the Safety Reporting Portal.
  • If you are an industry member who needs to file a Mandatory Adverse Event Report about a dietary supplement as required by section 761 of the FD&C Act, please visit the Safety Reporting Portal. If you need assistance or have any questions about reporting on dietary supplements, see Dietary Supplements - Reporting an Adverse Event for more information.

How to Report a Problem with Cosmetics

If you are a consumer, health professional, or member of the cosmetics industry who wants to report a complaint or adverse event (such as an illness, allergic reaction, rash, irritation, scarring, or hair loss) related to a cosmetic, you have three choices:

To learn more, see How to Report a Cosmetic Related Complaint.

Frequently Requested Information

What Does FDA Regulate?

Current Outbreaks

Contact Information for Other FDA Centers and Offices (Drugs, Tobacco, Devices, Biologics, and more)

CFSAN Adverse Event Reporting System (CAERS) Database (contains information on adverse event and product complaint reports submitted to FDA for foods, dietary supplements, and cosmetics)

For Consumers

Resources from Other Government Agencies

Department of Health and Human Services (HHS)

Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
Contact CDC to ask questions about public health.
Telephone: 1-800-CDC-INFO (1-800-232-4636)
E-Mail: Contact CDC-INFO

Department of Agriculture (USDA)

Consumer & Food Safety Educators
Contact USDA to ask questions concerning meat and poultry and egg products.
Main Number: (833) ONE-USDA or (202) 720-2791
USDA Meat & Poultry Hotline: (1-888-674-6854)
E-Mail: Meat and Poultry Hotline

Business & Industry Information
USDA Food Safety & Inspection Service (FSIS)
FSIS regulates domesticated meat, poultry and egg products. 

Department of Commerce

National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) Seafood Inspection Program
Telephone: 1-800-422-2750 or 301-427-8300
E-Mail: NOAA Seafood Inspection Program

Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC)

Contact CPSC for answers to questions regarding consumer products.
Consumer Hotline: 1-800-638-2772
General Information: 301-504-7923
TTY: 1-800-638-8270, 301-595-7054
E-Mail: CPSC Information Center

Department of Homeland Security

U.S. Customs and Border Protection
Contact DHS to ask questions or to report incidents.
Telephone: 1-877-227-5511 or 202-325-8000
TTY: 1-866-880-6582
E-Mail: CBP INFO Center

Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)

National Pesticide Information Center (NPIC)
Contact NPIC to ask questions regarding pesticides and pesticide-related topics.
Telephone: 1-800-858-7378 or 541-737-6091
E-Mail: Contact NPIC

Safe Drinking Water Hotline
Contact the Safe Drinking Water Hotline to ask questions regarding drinking water and groundwater programs.
Telephone: 1-800-426-4791
Help is available in English and Spanish.
E-Mail: Ticket System

Federal Trade Commission (FTC)

Consumer Response Center
Contact FTC to ask questions regarding fraudulent, deceptive, and unfair business practices in the marketplace.
Telephone: 1-877-382-4357
TTY: 1-866-653-4261
E-Mail: FTC Complaint Assistant

Department of the Interior

Fish and Wildlife Service
Answers questions on conservation, protection, and enhancement of fish, wildlife, plants, and their habitats.
Telephone: 1-800-344-WILD (1-800-344-9453)
E-Mail: Office of External Affairs

Department of the Treasury

Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau
Contact TTB to ask questions regarding alcoholic beverage products in the marketplace. Handles consumer complaints about misleading advertising of alcoholic beverages.
Telephone: 202-453-2000
Telephone for the hearing impaired: 202-882-9914

Back to Top