Reportable Food Registry for Industry
The Reportable Food Registry (RFR or the Registry) is an electronic portal for Industry to report when there is reasonable probability that an article of food will cause serious adverse health consequences. The Registry helps the FDA better protect the public health by tracking patterns and targeting inspections. The Food and Drug Administration Amendments Act of 2007 (Pub. L. 110-085), section 1005 directs the FDA to establish a Reportable Food Registry for Industry.
The RFR applies to all FDA regulated categories of food and feed, except dietary supplements and infant formula.
Who Should Use the Reportable Food Registry?
Registered Food Facilities that manufacture, process, pack, or hold food for human or animal consumption in the United States under section 415(a) of the FD&C Act (21 U.S.C. 350d) are required to report when there is a reasonable probability that the use of, or exposure to, an article of food will cause serious adverse health consequences or death to humans or animals.
Federal, state, and local government officials may voluntarily use the RFR portal to report information that may come to them about reportable foods.
Where Should Consumers, Food Retailers and Food Service Operators Report a Problem with Food?
In emergencies, consumers, food retailers and food service operators should continue to call FDA at 1-866-300-4374 or 301-796-8240. For less urgent problems, contact the FDA consumer complaint coordinator in your geographic area or see Your Guide To Reporting Problems to FDA.
What to Do if the Safety Reporting Portal is Not Operating
FDA recommends that you contact the FDA Division Office serving your area. Contact information for each Divisions Recall Coordinator can be found here: ORA Recall Coordinators.
FDA further recommends that a report be submitted by the responsible party to the Safety Reporting Portal as soon as it resumes operation.
Reportable Food Registry Policy Information Video
- Reportable Food Registry Regulations Training Module
- Draft Guidance for Industry: Questions and Answers Regarding the RFR as Established by the FDA Amendments Act of 2007 (Edition 2)
- Information on the FDA Reportable Food Registry (RFR) for Foreign Governments
- Food and Drug Administration Amendments Act (FDAAA) of 2007
RFR At A Glance
- Reportable Food Registry (RFR) At a Glance - English
- RFR At A Glance - Español (Spanish)
- RFR At A Glance - (Chinese)
- RFR At a Glance - Francais (French)
- RFR Commodity Definitions