CFSAN Education Resource Library
FDA's Center for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition (CFSAN) has a wealth of nutrition education materials.
Consumers, educators, teachers, dietitians, and health professionals are invited to explore CFSAN’s Education Resource Library – a catalog of downloadable and printable materials and videos on nutrition (including labeling and dietary supplements), food safety, and cosmetics.
New and Improved Nutrition Facts Label
Changes to the Nutrition Facts Label
On May 20, 2016, the FDA announced the new Nutrition Facts label for packaged foods to reflect new scientific information, including the link between diet and chronic diseases such as obesity and heart disease. The new label will make it easier for consumers to make more informed food choices. Manufacturers still have time to begin using the new and improved Nutrition Facts label, so you will see both label versions for a while. Manufacturers with $10 million or more in annual food sales have until 2020 before the new label is required, and manufacturers with less than $10 million in annual food sales will have until 2021.
Industry Members - visit our For Industry page for additional resources!
Making Healthy Choices Using the Nutrition Facts Label
Learn about the New Nutrition Facts Label
- Nutrition Facts Label Reboot: A Tale of Two Labels - Read about why FDA is updating the Nutrition Facts Label.
- New and Improved Nutrition Facts Label - Learn about the changes coming to the new Nutrition Facts label.
- Health Educator’s Nutrition Toolkit – Use these resources and tips to help your audiences understand the new Nutritional Facts label and make informed choices at the store, at home, and while eating out.
- “Behind the Label” with FDA: Information for Educators on the Updated Nutrition Facts Label - View this video for health educators that explains the changes to the Nutrition Facts label.
- The New Nutrition Facts Label - Key Changes (PDF: 184KB) - See the changes to the Nutrition Facts label at a glance.
- Nutrition Facts Label and MyPlate Tips for Eating Healthier (PDF: 719.5KB) – Learn the steps to eating healthier with these tools.
Also available in an illustrated version (PDF: 823.7KB)
- Nutrition Facts Label Images for Download - Download examples of the Nutrition Facts label for educational use.
- Read the Label Youth Outreach Resources - Use these hands-on materials to challenge kids to look for and use the Nutrition Facts label.
- Sodium: Look at the Label - Learn how to make dietary choices to help lower your daily sodium intake.
Nutrition Curriculum for Middle/High School Teachers – Featuring the New Nutrition Facts Label
What captures the interest of students? FOOD! Yes, food can be used to engage students in inquiry-based science — really!
The Science and Our Food Supply Teacher Guides are challenging hands-on, minds-on activities that link food safety and nutrition to students' everyday lives. They are crafted in a teacher-friendly modular format that easily fit into science, health, and other classes.
Choose from these topics:
Calories on the Menu: Menu Labeling Information for Consumers
In today’s busy world, Americans eat and drink about one-third of their calories from foods prepared away from home.
Calorie labeling on menus can help you make informed and healthful decisions about meals and snacks.
Beginning May 7, 2018, calories must be listed on many menus and menu boards of restaurants and other food establishments that are part of a chain of 20 or more locations.
- Menu Labeling Information for Consumers
- Menu Labeling Social Media Toolkit for Consumer Outreach
- Menu Labeling Presentation Slides for Consumers
- How Many Calories? Keep an Eye on the Menu
Gluten occurs naturally in wheat, rye, barley, and crossbreeds of these grains. Since 2014, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has required that claims on food labels that a food contains no gluten meet a clear standard that assures consumers that “gluten-free” claims on food products will be truthful and consistent.
Original Nutrition Facts Label
- Nutrition Facts Label Online - Discover the wealth of information on the Nutrition Facts label with FDA’s interactive tool.
- Whyville - Interactive Game for Kids - Visit the virtual world of Whyville to practice label reading and making healthy snack choices!
- How to Understand and Use the Nutrition Facts Label - Check out this breakdown of the different sections on the Nutrition Facts label.
- Guide for Older Adults on Using the Nutrition Facts Label - Learn how to use the Nutrition Facts label to help you feel your best.
- Nutrition Facts Label Continuing Medical Education Video - View the video to learn practical tips on how to counsel patients about using the Nutrition Facts label to make food choices that support a healthy diet.
- USDA ChooseMyPlate.gov
- FoodData Central
- USDA Team Nutrition
- Dietary Guidelines for Americans
- NIH Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension (DASH) Eating Plan
- CDC Division of Nutrition, Physical Activity, and Obesity
- Etiquetado de menús paquete de herramientas para redes sociales y educación al consumidor
- Presentación del Etiquetado de Menús
- Cómo usar la etiqueta de información nutricional
- La etiqueta de Información Nutricional ¡Búscala y úsala!
- Versión Nueva y Mejorada de la Etiqueta de Información Nutricional
- La nueva y mejorada etiqueta de Información nutricional – Cambios clave
- Sodio: Lea la etiqueta