In support of our common public health mission, FDA's Office of Regulatory Affairs' Office of Training Education and Development (OTED) provides free training to state, local and tribal regulatory partners.
- FERN Website : this link will direct you to the public FERN website. To access the FERN Introduction Modules, please click on Read More and scroll down.
- Computer-Based Case Study: "Salmonella in the Caribbean"
- National Shellfish Sanitation Program Overview
- Shellfish Growing Areas
- Shellfish Plant Sanitation
For information on registration and other online courses
- State, Local and Tribal Regulators (These online courses are free for FDA, State, Local & Tribal Regulators)
- FDA Employees
If you are an FDA employee, you should obtain the most up-to-date information about training available to you from the Intranet OTED site.
You do not have to be logged in to the FDA network to access web-based courses on Compliancewire. If you already have log on information, you can access the courses at https://www.compliancewire.com/partners/fdaora.
If you do not have log on information:
- Personnel in ORA regions should contact your Regional Training Officer (RTO).
- Headquarters ORA and all Center personnel should email their request to OTED.
- Courses are presented tuition free and are open on a national and international1 basis. Travel and related costs are at the expense of the attendee’s agency.
- Information on the course registration process and other important stakeholder material can be found by visiting: Online Course Schedule for State, Local, and Tribal Partners.
- Current training schedules can be found on OTED’s Pathlore learning management system by visiting: https://orauportal.fda.gov.
- The sponsoring agency administers the registration process under the following general guidelines:
- Registration is on a first come first serve basis.
- Priority status will be given to regional attendees, as courses are nationally delivered on a regional basis.
- The current registration form must be submitted, and the current registration processes must be followed. Previous year registration forms are not accepted.
- Interested parties should choose a course location that is closest to their geographic location to avoid high travel costs.
- Courses are conducted by OTED in conjunction with the Office of State Cooperative Programs, FDA Center and Headquarters and the Independent Course Delivery (ICD) provider.
- Some courses have prerequisites and it is expected that participants registering for these courses have met the pre-course requirements or equivalent prior to submitting their registration form.
- OTED is an "Authorized Provider" of continuing education units (CEU) through the International Association for Continuing Education and Training (IACET). CEU are calculated at the rate of ten hours of instruction equaling one CEU.
- CEU and OTED course certificates are provided to those course participants who:
- Attend the entire course
- Participate in all class activities, and
- Successfully complete the assessment tool(s) (exercises) that measure the participant’s attainment of course objectives.
1 International participants that want to attend a retail, milk, shellfish course can make a request to attend a course through the Training Officer or the state host.
Credit for Course Participation
Listed below is an explanation of Contact Hours and CEUs and how they will be calculated for each training course/venue in our catalog. OTED has been reviewed and approved as an authorized provider by the International Association for Continuing Education and Training (IACET) to provide CEUs to participants for courses that meet these requirements.
Contact hours are used to measure instructional time and/or time allotted for course related assignments such as pre-course exercises or homework. Contact hours are used to calculate CEUs for face-to-face training courses and online courses.
An individual will earn 1 Contact Hour for each hour spent receiving instruction in the classroom or spent completing an equivalent study online. [10 contact hours = 1 CEU (Continuing Education Unit)]
Mission: The OTED Mission is to provide high quality learning opportunities through timely, cost-effective learning products that support FDA's mission and strategic goals and meets current training and development needs of ORA personnel, state and local regulatory officials, and other stakeholders.
What We Do: ORA’s Office of Training Education and Development (OTED) is responsible for the training and development of a 5,000+-member staff located in ORA's field and headquarters offices throughout the United States and Puerto Rico. In addition, OTED is responsible for providing training to state and local regulatory agency staff who are involved in the regulation of food, drugs, and other commodities regulated by FDA.
The Office of Training Education and Development (OTED) is accredited by the International Association for Continuing Education and Training (IACET) and is authorized to issue the IACET continuing education unit CEU. As an IACET Accredited Provider, OTED offers CEUs for its programs that qualify under the American National Standards Institute (ANSI) IACET Standard.