FDA is committed to educating and inspiring the next generation of innovators to pursue careers in the sciences with a commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and accessibility in its hiring practices.
As a science-based agency, whose regulated products account for nearly 20 cents of every dollar Americans spend annually, FDA must ensure that we have a highly skilled scientific workforce to conduct our mission of protecting, promoting, and advancing the public health.
FDA's STEM Outreach, Education and Engagement program seeks to:
• Provide educational opportunities to prospective scientists
• Raise awareness of FDA as a science-based agency
• Expose students to the broad scope of regulatory science and its impact on our lives
• Inspire future innovators to pursue the wide range of scientific careers at FDA that
make up the field of regulatory science
• Conduct outreach to recruit and hire scientists
FDA is a public health agency composed of STEM professionals. However, many people are unaware of the broad scope of FDA's work and the groundbreaking research our scientists conduct every day to support it.
More than 12,000 of FDA’s 18,000+ staff are scientists. They range from biologists, chemists, epidemiologists, nurses, pharmacists, and physicians to social and behavioral scientists, statisticians, veterinarians, and engineers. Their research, scientific activities, and inventions make a profound impact on the lives of all Americans.
FDA STEM activities include: