Training for Carriers covered by the Sanitary Transportation of Human and Animal Food Rule
FDA is offering a one-hour training module, free of charge, to help carriers meet the requirements of FDA’s Sanitary Transportation of Human and Animal Food Rule (“Sanitary Transportation Rule”).
LMS Administrators: Download the SCORM Package
The Sanitary Transportation Rule requires rail and motor vehicle carriers covered by the rule to provide food safety training to their personnel engaged in transportation operations. This requirement applies when the carrier and shipper have agreed in a written contract that the carrier is responsible, in whole or in part, for the sanitary conditions during transportation. Such carriers are required to establish and maintain records documenting the training of operations personnel.
- Offer this module to their operations personnel as a means of satisfying the minimum requirements
- Use this module to complement or enhance training they currently offer
- Train their personnel using their own training programs
- Provide training obtained from a third-party vendor or other provider
This course is designed to provide basic food safety training to transportation operations personnel. This training module does not describe specific operating procedures and practices. It is intended to complement industry best practices.
After completing this module, carrier personnel will be better able to:
- Recognize their responsibilities as specified in the Sanitary Transportation Rule
- Identify potential food safety problems that may occur during food transportation
- Describe common ways to prevent food safety problems
How do I complete the course?
FDA offers two ways transportation operations personnel can complete the Sanitary Transportation Rule training module:
- Carrier personnel can launch the online course directly from this page. At the conclusion of the online module, they will have the opportunity to print a certificate of completion. To ensure the certificate prints properly, participants should enter their names, as they want them to appear, in the designated area of the training. They can follow the instructions at the end of the training to print their certificate.
- If your organization maintains its own Learning Management System (LMS), your administrator can download the course files and import them into your LMS. This allows you to track completion data automatically in your system.
For LMS Administrators:
- Download the SCORM Package
- Select “Save As” to save the file to a local machine.
- Import the .zip file into your SCORM-compliant LMS for completion and tracking purposes
If you plan to complete the Sanitary Transportation Rule training module on your computer, you will need to ensure that both your browser and your installation of Flash Player are up to date. Please ensure your system meets the following requirements:
- Flash: Adobe Flash Player 10.3 or later
- Browser: Any of the following browsers
- Windows: Internet Explore 8 or later, Microsoft Edge (latest version), Google Chrome (latest version), Firefox (latest version)
- Mac: Safari 7 or later, Google Chrome (latest version)
If you plan to complete the Sanitary Transportation Rule training module on a mobile device, you will have the best experience if you use a tablet rather than a phone. Regardless of the device you choose, you will need to ensure that your operating system and browser are up to date and that you install the Articulate Mobile Player. Please ensure your mobile device meets the following requirements:
- Operating System:
- Apple iOS 7 or later
- Android OS 4.1 or later
- Safari for iOS 7
- Google Chrome (latest version)
- Install Articulate Mobile Player
If you are visually impaired and use assistive technology to complete the course, you will need to ensure your internet browser and installation of JAWS are up to date. Please ensure your system meets the following requirements:
- JAWS 16 or later
- Internet Explorer 11 or later
If you have technical difficulties accessing the course, please contact us.
If you have questions or concerns about this course content or the Sanitary Transportation Rule, please submit an inquiry to the FSMA Technical Assistance Network.