Information for Consumers on Using Dietary Supplements
Dietary Supplements can be beneficial to your health — but taking supplements can also involve health risks.
Because dietary supplements are under the "umbrella" of foods, FDA's Center for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition (CFSAN) is responsible for the agency's oversight of these products. The Dietary Supplement Health and Education Act (DSHEA) of 1994, which amended the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act, created a new regulatory framework for the safety and labeling of dietary supplements. FDA is not authorized to review dietary supplement products for safety and effectiveness before they are marketed.
The following are resources and important information for you and your family about dietary supplements.
Consumer Fact Sheets from FDA
- Reporting a Problem
- Dietary Supplements: What You Need to Know
- Tips for Dietary Supplement Users
- Tips for Older Dietary Supplement Users
WATCH a video on Thinking About Taking a Dietary Supplement
Timely and easy-to-read articles on product approvals, safety warnings, and other health information.
- Some Imported Dietary Supplements and Nonprescription Drug Products May Harm You
- Mixing Medications and Dietary Supplements Can Endanger Your Health
- FDA to Investigate Added Caffeine
- More Consumer Updates related to Dietary Supplements...
Additional Information Other Agencies
- Dietary Supplement Fact Sheets (NIH-ODS)
- Botanical Dietary Supplements (NIH-ODS)
- Vitamin and Mineral Supplement Fact Sheets (NIH-ODS)
- Dietary and Herbal Supplements (NIH-NCCIH)
- Dietary Supplements (USDA-FNIC)
- Herbs at a Glance (NIH-NCCIH)
- Dietary Supplements (MedlinePlus)
Thinking About Taking a Dietary Supplement
Resources for You
- Using Dietary Supplements Wisely
- Health Fraud Scams
- How To Evaluate Health Information on the Internet
- Bureau of Consumer Protection
- Dietary Guidance
Specific Topic Areas
- FDA Warns Consumers About Pure and Highly Concentrated Caffeine
- BMPEA in Dietary Supplements
- Methylsynephrine in Dietary Supplements
- More Specific Products and Ingredients
- Archived Materials of Interest on Specific Products and Ingredients
Recalls & Alerts
- Tainted Supplements Database
Recalls, Market Withdrawals, & Safety Alerts Warning Letters
- GRAS Notice Database
- ORA District and Headquarters Recall Coordinators