- What is the Human Food Inspection Contract Program?
- Which states currently have contracts?
- How does FDA ensure the quality of state contract inspections?
- Where can I find more information?
- Human Food Contract Program Fact Sheet (Version January 2021)
Under this program, inspections are performed in selected food manufacturer/processor firms to determine compliance with the Federal Food, Drug and Cosmetic (FD&C) Act, state law, or both.
During inspections, the emphasis is placed on determining significant violations to Good Manufacturing Practices (GMPs), Preventive Controls, unsanitary conditions and practices that may render the food injurious to health. This considers inspectional concerns involving the introduction or growth of pathogenic organisms, and other conditions that may cause food to become filthy, putrid, decomposed, or contaminated with foreign objects.
United States map displaying 43 FDA funded Human Food Inspection contract states: AK, AL, AR, AZ, CA*, CO, CT, FL, GA, IA, IL, IN, KS, KY, LA, MA, MD, ME, MI, MN, MO, MS, MT, NC, NE, NJ, NM, NV, NY, OH, OR, PA, RI, SC*, TN, TX, UT, VA, VT, WA, WI, WV*, WY
Note: Not pictured is Puerto Rico, which currently has a contract.
- Forty-seven (47) contracts with state and territorial government regulatory agencies (e.g. Health, Agriculture, Consumer Protection, etc.)
- *California, South Carolina, and West Virginia each have two agencies with contracts (Departments of Health & Agriculture) included in the total number of contracts (47).
- Of the 47 contracts awarded, 43 states and one (1) U.S. Territory, Puerto Rico, have contracts.
- FDA provides approximately $13.3 million in funding under this contract program.
Each state inspector who conducts contract inspections for FDA is audited twice in a 36-month period to ensure that the quality of the inspection work meets FDA expectations. FDA reviews the state inspector audits annually at the state program and national level to ensure the audit obligations are met and that the state programs meet the performance criteria described in FMD-76 - State Contracts - Evaluation of Inspectional Performance. FDA reports the overall audit performance rating of each state program for the contract year. See the annual state program performance date posted here.
Specific questions on this program can be directed to the appropriate Office of Partnerships' contact within the Division of Partnership Investments and Agreements. Please visit the Office of Partnerships Contacts webpage to obtain a downloaded version of the staffing roster.
General questions may be directed to the Office of Partnerships' general mailbox: firstname.lastname@example.org