Guidance documents contain nonbinding recommendations.
For additional information, see the Chemicals, Metals & Pesticides in Food section.
- Acrylamide: Guidance for Industry: Acrylamide in Foods (March 2016)
- Dioxins & PCBs: Guidance for Industry: Possible Dioxin/PCB Contamination of Drug and Biological Products (PDF - 7.7KB) (August 1999)
- Melamine: "Dear Colleague" Letter to the United States Food Manufacturing Industry, Regarding Melamine (October 10, 2008)
- Action Levels for Poisonous or Deleterious Substances in Human Food and Animal Feed (2000)
- Guidance for Industry: The Safety of Imported Traditional Pottery Intended for Use with Food and the Use of the Term “Lead Free” in the Labeling of Pottery; and Proper Identification of Ornamental and Decorative Ceramicware (November 2010)
- WITHDRAWN - Chemical Contaminants (Lead): 1991 Letter to Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms Regarding Lead in Wine (March 2007)
See Letter Concerning the Withdrawal of "1991 Letter to Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms Regarding Lead in Wine" from January 2017
- Lead in Candy Likely To Be Consumed Frequently by Small Children: Recommended Maximum Level and Enforcement Policy (November 2006)
- Letter to Manufacturers, Importers, and Distributors of Imported Candy and Candy Wrappers (June 13, 1995)
- Compliance Policy Guide Sec. 550.050 Canned Ackee, Frozen Ackee, and Other Ackee Products- Hypoglycin A Toxin (PDF - 30KB) (April 14, 2014)
- Guidance for Industry and FDA: Advisory Levels for Deoxynivalenol (DON) in Finished Wheat Products for Human Consumption and Grains and Grain By-Products used for Animal Feed (June 2010)
- Guidance for Industry: Fumonisin Levels in Human Foods and Animal Feeds (November 9, 2001)
- Compliance Policy Guide Sec. 555.400 Foods - Adulteration with Aflatoxin
- Compliance Policy Guide Sec. 570.200 Brazil Nuts - Adulteration with Aflatoxin
- Compliance Policy Guide Sec. 570.500 Pistachio Nuts - Aflatoxin Adulteration
- Compliance Policy Guide Sec. 570.375 Aflatoxin in Peanuts and Peanut Products
- Compliance Policy Guide for FDA Staff: Sec. 550.050 Canned Ackee, Frozen Ackee, and Other Ackee Products - Hypoglycin A Toxin
- Compliance Policy Guidance for FDA Staff: Apple Juice, Apple Juice Concentrates, and Apple Juice Products - Adulteration with Patulin
- Pesticide Chemicals: Channels of Trade Policy for Commodities With Residues of Pesticide Chemicals, for Which Tolerances Have Been Revoked, Suspended, or Modified by the Environmental Protection Agency Pursuant to Dietary Risk Considerations (May 2005)
- Methyl Parathion: Channels of Trade Policy for Commodities with Methyl Parathion Residues (December 2000)
- Vinclozolin: Channels of Trade Policy for Commodities with Vinclozolin Residues (June 12, 2002)
See Bottled Water & Carbonated Soft Drinks Guidance Documents & Regulatory Information for additional guidance and regulations.