Eating Fish: What Pregnant Women and Parents Should Know
FDA and EPA have issued advice regarding eating fish. This advice can help women who are pregnant or may become pregnant - as well as breastfeeding mothers and parents of infants and young children - make informed choices when it comes to fish that are nutritious and safe to eat. The advice includes a chart that makes it easier than ever to choose dozens of healthy and safe options, and a set of frequently asked questions & answers.
Nutritional value of fish and the Dietary Guidelines for Americans
Seafood, which includes fish and shellfish, is part of the healthy eating patterns described in the Dietary Guidelines for Americans. Eating seafood offers heart health benefits. Eating seafood when pregnant or breastfeeding is related to better health outcomes for the mother’s baby.
Seafood, as part of a healthy eating pattern, provides:
The Dietary Guidelines for Americans recommends:
- At least 8 ounces of seafood (less for young children) per week based on a 2,000 calorie diet
- Women who are pregnant or breastfeeding to consume between 8 and 12 ounces of a variety of seafood per week, from choices that are lower in mercury.
Click the image to enlarge the chart.
We have developed the following resources to help you:
- Text Version of the Advice Chart - Includes a sortable table of the fish categories, seen in the chart, that lets you sort by fish name or fish category
- Materials to Print, Post, Share - Print-Friendly Material for consumers, health professionals and industry
- Social Media Toolkit - Get tweets, FB posts, web badges and more to share with your followers.
- Supporting Scientific Documents - Peer Reviews, Assessments, and other Supporting Technical Documents
FDA encourages consumers, health professionals, educators, and retailers to print, post, and share the Fish Advice chart. We have provided print-friendly downloads for your convenience. You can also share the message on social media using our toolkit.
- Technical Information on Development of Final Updated Advice About Eating Fish
- FDA and EPA’s Response to External Peer Review on the FDA-EPA’s Technical Information (PDF - 124KB)
- External Peer Review Report of FDA-EPA’s Technical Information (PDF - 507KB)
- Related Risk Assessment
- Peer Review of the Risk Assessment