Safe Use Initiative - Extramural Research
FDA Broad Agency Announcement for the Advanced Research and Development of Regulatory Science
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration has an open, continuing announcement to solicit research and development in support of regulatory science and innovation. The Safe Use Initiative welcomes proposals to this announcement which support its mission and goal.
- Read the details of the solicitation announcement (FDABAA-19-00123)
- Please note - Priority Area 8: Strengthen Social and Behavioral Science to Promote Informed Decision-Making About FDA-Regulated Products
Safe Use funds subsection 8.5.1 of the BAA: Studies that develop innovative methods to create, facilitate and encourage research in the area of safe medication use that seeks to reduce preventable harm from drugs
- Nurse Pain Educator Pilot Program (NPE) – NEMA Research, Inc.
- FDA Physician Communication Project: Testing with Professional Societies - Summer Productions
- Integrated Clinical Decision Support System to Advance the Safe Use of Antibiotics – AZCERT, Inc.
- Pragmatic Risk Score for Severe Hypoglycemic Events – Kaiser Foundation Research Institute
- Optimizing the Use of Opioids Following Surgery – Kaiser Foundation Research Institute and Kaiser Permanente Northwest Center for Health Research
- Safe Stimulant Medication Prescribing for Adult ADHD – American Academy of Family Physicians (AAFP)
- Appearance and Performance Enhancing Substances Simulated Conversation for Health Professionals – The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP)
- A Community Based Study of Adverse Effects of NSAIDS on the Kidney and Risk Mitigation to Reduce Preventable Harm – Albany College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences
- High-Alert Medication Safety Self-Assessment for Hospitals and Targeted Risk Reduction Tool Development – Institute for Safe Medication Practices (ISMP)
- National Standardization of Intravenous (IV) and Oral Liquid Medications – American Society of Health-System Pharmacists (ASHP)
- Identifying Best Practices for the Safe Use of Pediatric Cough and Cold Medications – New York University
- Educational Resource for the Effective Communication Between Health Care Professionals and Patients About Impairing Risks of Prescribed Medication in Relation to Driving – Traffic Injury Research Foundation (TIRF)
- Real-time Risk Stratification for Hypo- or Hyperglycemia to Enhance Glucose Management Outcomes in Hospitals – University of Florida
- Comparative Effectiveness of Disease Education Messaging – WebMD
- FDA Physician Communication: Testing with Physician Portals – Summer Productions
- Core Elements of Anticoagulation Stewardship Program – Anticoagulation Forum, Inc
- Evaluating the Impact of Flow Restrictors on Pediatric Exposures to Liquid Single-Ingredient Acetaminophen and Cough/Cold Products – Denver Health and Hospital Authority
- Manganese Contamination in Neonatal Parenteral Nutrition – Neonatal Research Institute
- A Scalable, Patient-Centered Approach for “Right-Sizing” Opioid Prescribing - University of Pennsylvania
- Analysis of Prescription Drug Monitoring Program (PDMP) Data Assessing the Impact of a State Intervention on High Risk Prescribers in New York State - Brandeis University
- Consumer and Physician Knowledge of Drug Quality - WebMD
- Perioperative Medication Safety Self-Assessment for Hospitals and Ambulatory Surgical Centers (ASCs) and Targeted Risk-Reduction Tool Development - Institute for Safe Medication Practices (ISMP)
- Suicide-Related Risks Associated with Prescription Opioid Deprescribing - Kaiser Foundation Hospitals
- Improving Safe Use of Fluoroquinolone Antibiotics Through Development of an Innovative Education Program - WebMD Health Corp.
- Small Dispenser Study: Understanding the Impact of the Oncoming Track and Trace Legislation on Small Dispensers - Providence Health Technologies, LLC
- Social Listening and Pulmonary Artery Hypertension - INSPIRE