Tobacco Science & Research
FDA supports science and research to help us better understand tobacco use and associated risks so that we can reduce the public health burden of tobacco in the United States.
Research programs and projects include, but are not limited to, the scientific fields of epidemiology, behavior, biology, medicine, economics, chemistry, engineering, toxicology, pharmacology, addiction, public health, communications, marketing, and statistics.
- PATH: Researchers Encouraged to Request Access to Wave 4 Restricted Use Files, Apply to Biospecimen Access Program
- Public Scientific Workshop and Request for Comment: Youth Tobacco Cessation: Science and Treatment Strategies
- Request for Comment—Revised Draft Guidance: Use of Investigational Tobacco Products
- Public Hearing and Request for Comment -- Eliminating Youth Electronic Cigarette Use: The Role for Drug Therapies
- 2018 Tobacco Centers of Regulatory Science (TCORS) Awards
- Cost-Effectiveness Analysis of The Real Cost Campaign's Effect on Smoking Prevention, American Journal of Preventive Medicine
- Report on Tobacco Regulatory Science Research Program
- Find statistics about youth tobacco use from the most recent National Youth Tobacco Survey
- Find statistics about adult tobacco use from the most recent National Health Interview Survey
- Find recent CTP publications.
Stay current on FDA's tobacco regulatory science and research efforts, tobacco scientific publications and study findings, and research grants by subscribing to CTP's quarterly Spotlight on Science newsletter.
- Read about the research goals of the Population Assessment of Tobacco and Health (PATH) Study, a collaboration between FDA and NIH, as well as availability of Restricted Use Files (RUF) and Public Use Files (PUF) for Waves 1 & 2.
- Learn about CTP's research priorities that build the science base behind FDA's authority to regulate tobacco products.
- Find out more about the Tobacco Regulatory Science Program (TRSP), FDA's partnership with NIH to foster tobacco regulatory research, including the Tobacco Centers of Regulatory Science (TCORS).
- Learn about FDA's collaboration with CDC on the National Youth Tobacco Survey.
- FDA Science Forum.
- Review information on Harmful and Potentially Harmful Constituents.
- Understand more about Modified Risk Tobacco Products and the rigorous standards in place to protect the public's health.
- Products, Ingredients and Components
- FDA's New Regulations for E-Cigarettes, Cigars, and All Other Tobacco Products
- FDA Safety Reporting Portal for Tobacco Products
- Connect with Us
- Tobacco Control Act