Datascope Corp/MAQUET Issues Worldwide Voluntary Recall of the System CS100, CS100i and CS300 Intra-Aortic Balloon Pumps for Potential Electrical Test Failure Code
This recall has been completed and FDA has terminated this recall.
When a company announces a recall, market withdrawal, or safety alert, the FDA posts the company's announcement as a public service. FDA does not endorse either the product or the company.Read Announcement
- Company Announcement Date:
- FDA Publish Date:
- Product Type:
- Medical Devices
- Reason for Announcement:
Recall Reason DescriptionPotential electrical test failure code
- Company Name:
- Datascope Corp/MAQUET
- Brand Name:
Brand Name(s)Datascope Corp/MAQUET
- Product Description:
Product DescriptionIntra-Aortic Balloon Pumps
Datascope Corp. is voluntarily performing a worldwide field correction of certain Intra-Aortic Balloon Pumps (IABPs) sold by Datascope Corp. for a potential electrical test failure code.
|AFFECTED PRODUCT||PART NUMBER|
|CS100i IABP||0998-UC-0446HXX; 0998-UC-0479HXX|
|CS100 IABP||0998-00-3013-XX; 0998-UC-3013-XX|
|CS300 IABP||0998-00-3023-XX; 0998-UC-3023-XX|
This field correction also applies to any System 98 or System 98XT IABP that was converted to a CS100i or CS300 IABP.
Overall Action for User
Patients receiving IABP therapy are in critical condition and sudden interruption of therapy could result in unsafe, hemodynamic instability. Maquet/Getinge indicates that the risk-benefit of using an affected CS100i, CS100 or CS300 IABP should be assessed by the medical team for each patient when no alternative IABP or alternative therapy is available. Please adhere to the following instructions when using affected devices:
- Pursuant to the USER Instruction WARNINGS, clinicians are instructed not to leave the patient unattended during IABP therapy.
- An additional hazard associated with a sudden shutdown is related to the static condition (no inflating or deflating) of the balloon during the interruption of therapy. It is important to note the following WARNING in the CS100i, CS100 or CS300 IABP Operating Instructions Manual:
WARNING: The patient balloon should not remain inactive in the patient (i.e., not inflating or deflating) for more than 30 minutes due to the potential for thrombus formation.
- Until the service is performed, we recommend powering on the IABP prior to inserting the IAB catheter to allow the IABP to successfully complete its self-test. This action will take less than 60 seconds to perform. In the event the IABP fails to successfully complete the self-test and exhibits electrical test failure code 58, please remove the IABP from service and contact your local Maquet/Getinge Sales & Service Office.
Datascope has received a complaint that has been associated with a patient death due to the failure of the device to initiate therapy. This complaint involved a CS300 IABP that did not pump due to an electrical test failure code #58 (power up vent tests fail), maintenance code #3, and an autofill failure. An electrical test failure code #58 is caused by a solenoid valve requiring more power than the solenoid driver board can deliver to open the valve.
There are approximately 12,000 affected units sold globally. The affected IABP units were distributed in the U.S. and worldwide (in over 100 countries). Affected units were distributed between March 23, 2003, and December 11, 2013. Units distributed after December 11, 2013, are not affected by the field correction.
A service representative from Datascope will be replacing the defective solenoid driver boards. Customers having affected IABP unit(s) will be contacted by a representative of the Maquet/Getinge Service Team to schedule on-site service.
For additional information regarding this field correction, please contact the Customer Service Department at 1-888-627-8383 and Press 2 (Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. EDT).
Adverse reactions or quality problems experienced with the use of this product may be reported to the FDA's MedWatch Adverse Event Reporting program either online, by regular mail or by fax.
- Complete and submit the report Online
- Regular Mail or Fax: Download form or call 1- 800-332-1088 to request a reporting form, then complete and return to the address on the pre-addressed form, or submit by fax to 1-800-FDA-0178
This recall is being conducted with the knowledge of the U.S. Food and Drug Administration.
Company Contact Information
- 1-888-627-8383 and Press 2
- Helena Swan
- (973) 709-7967