News and Updates
On June 30, 2020, the FDA issued an immediately-in-effect guidance on its policy regarding compliance dates for class I and unclassified devices that are not implantable, life-supporting, or life-sustaining. The guidance explains that, at this time, the FDA does not intend to enforce UDI labeling (21 CFR 801.20 & 801.50), Direct Mark (21 CFR 801.45), GUDID Data Submission (21 CFR 830.300), and Standard Date Format (21 CFR 801.18) requirements before September 24, 2022.
The FDA established the unique device identification system to adequately identify medical devices sold in the United States from manufacturing through distribution to patient use.
When fully implemented, the label of most devices will include a unique device identifier (UDI) in human- and machine-readable form, which will ultimately improve patient safety, modernize device postmarket surveillance, and facilitate medical device innovation.
- Medical Devices and the COVID-19 (Coronavirus) Pandemic
- FDA's Role: Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) Frequently Asked Questions
- Protecting the Health and Safety of Medical Device Manufacturing Personnel During COVID-19
A list of recent FDA guidance documents regarding enforcement policies, including UDI labeling and GUDID data submission requirements, for certain devices, is available.
Search the AccessGUDID Database
AccessGUDID is a searchable database of device identification information, such as the device identifier on the label, device name, company name, MR safety status, and premarket submission numbers. AccessGUDID is available for anyone, including patients, care givers, health care providers, hospitals, and industry.
Device Labelers: Comply with UDI Requirements
In general, the UDI final rule requires device labelers (typically, the manufacturer) to:
- Include a unique device identifier (UDI), issued under an FDA-accredited issuing agency’s UDI system, on device labels, device packages, and in some instances, directly on the device.
- Submit device information to the Global Unique Device Identification Database (GUDID).
Device Labelers: Submit Data to GUDID
The FDA provides device labelers with two options for submitting data to GUDID: manual data entry using the GUDID web application (for entering data for one device at a time) and HL7 SPL submission via FDA Electronic Submissions Gateway (for bulk uploads). For details on each option, see Submit Data to GUDID.