Welcome to the New Era of Smarter Food Safety. The world around us is changing rapidly; many believe we will see more changes in the food system over the next 10 years than we have in decades. Foods are being reformulated; there are new foods, new production methods, and new delivery methods; and the system is becoming increasingly digitized.
To keep pace with this evolution, FDA is taking a new approach to food safety, leveraging technology and other tools to create a safer and more digital, traceable food system.
Smarter food safety is about more than just technology. It's also about simpler, more effective, and modern approaches and processes. It's about leadership, creativity, and culture.
Our ultimate goal is to bend the curve of foodborne illness in this country by reducing the number of illnesses.
Get email updates delivered to your inbox.
New Era Blueprint
This blueprint outlines the approach FDA will take over the next decade to usher in the New Era of Smarter Food Safety. This document represents achievable goals to enhance traceability, improve predictive analytics, respond more rapidly to outbreaks, address new business models, reduce contamination of food, and foster the development of stronger food safety cultures. It outlines a partnership between government, industry and public health advocates based on a commitment to create a more modern approach to food safety. The challenges that have arisen during the COVID-19 pandemic have accelerated the need for actions called for in the blueprint, especially in times of crisis.
The blueprint for the New Era of Smarter Food Safety was announced in July 2020. In FDA Voices, Janet Woodcock, M.D., Acting Commissioner of Food and Drugs, and Frank Yiannas, Deputy Commissioner for Food Policy and Response, recognize the significant progress that has been made over the past year.
And FDA, working with partners in the public and private sectors, continues this year to advance goals in each of the four priority areas, called core elements.
New Era News...
The FDA New Era of Smarter Food Safety Low- or No-Cost Tech-Enabled Traceability Challenge
The FDA has launched a challenge to encourage the development of food traceability solutions that are low- or no- cost to the end user, create shared-value, and can scale to encourage widespread adoption.
For more information, visit Food Traceability Challenge: Looking for Affordable Solutions.
And to join the Challenge, visit the launch page at precision.fda.gov.
Hear from Deputy Commissioner Frank Yiannas
- Remarks on World Food Safety Day June 2021
- FDA Voices: FDA Seeks Innovative Food Traceability Tools and Opens a Dialogue on Advancing Food Safety with Technology June 2021
- Fireside Chat in the THRIVE Innovation Series February 2021
- FDA Insight Podcast Discussing the New Era of Smarter Food Safety and Its Impact of COVID-19 Response January 2021
- FDA Voices: What FDA’s Foods Program Achieved in 2020 to Protect Consumers and the Food Supply January 2021
- FDA Voices: The FDA Food Safety Modernization Act at 10: Reflecting on Our Progress and the Path Forward January 2021
Announcements, Meetings, and Webinars
- New Era of Smarter Food Safety Summit on E-Commerce: Ensuring the Safety of Foods Ordered Online and Delivered Directly to Consumers October 19-21, 2021
- TechTalk Podcast
- Retail Food Safety Regulatory Association Collaborative Ribbon Cutting May 2021
- FDA Voices: Partnership with Mexico’s Regulators Strengthens Food Safety Protections March 2021
- FDA Voices: Unleashing the Power of FDA Data to Support COVID-19 Vaccine Distribution to Food and Agriculture Workers January 2021
- Voluntary Pilot Program to Evaluate Alignment of Third-Party Food Safety Standards with FSMA Rules November 2020
- Tracking and Tracing of Food September 2020
- FDA Voices: Import Screening Pilot Unleashes the Power of Data and Leverages Artificial Intelligence August 2020
- Webinar on The First 100 Days of the New Era of Smarter Food Safety October 2020
- Remarks at the International Association for Food Protection 2020 Annual Meeting October 2020
- Fireside Chat with GS1 on New Era of Smarter Food Safety July 2020
- Announcement of the New Era of Smarter Food Safety Blueprint July 2020
- Remarks for World Food Safety Day 2020 June 2020
- FDA Voices: Pandemic Challenges Highlight the Importance of the New Era of Smarter Food Safety June 2020
- Conversation with Frank Yiannas on FDA’s Perspective on Food Safety and Availability During and Beyond COVID-19 April 2020
- Public Meeting on a New Era of Smarter Food Safety October 2019
The New Era of Smarter Food Safety builds on work that FDA has done to implement FSMA, which established science and risk-based protections.
Enhanced traceability and predictive analytics are New Era goals to speed outbreak response and prevention.
If you would like more information about the New Era of Smarter Food Safety, or have relevant information that you would like to share, contact us in the following ways:
For meeting and speaker requests, please include a request form when you contact us.