Welcome to the New Era of Smarter Food Safety. The world around us is changing rapidly; many believe we will see more changes in the food system over the next 10 years than we have in decades. Foods are being reformulated; there are new foods, new production methods, and new delivery methods; and the system is becoming increasingly digitized.
To keep pace with this evolution, FDA is taking a new approach to food safety, leveraging technology and other tools to create a safer and more digital, traceable food system.
Smarter food safety is about more than just technology. It's also about simpler, more effective, and modern approaches and processes. It's about leadership, creativity, and culture.
Our ultimate goal is to bend the curve of foodborne illness in this country by reducing the number of illnesses.
Get email updates delivered to your inbox.
New Era Blueprint
This blueprint outlines the approach FDA will take over the next decade to usher in the New Era of Smarter Food Safety.
This document represents achievable goals to enhance traceability, improve predictive analytics, respond more rapidly to outbreaks, address new business models, reduce contamination of food, and foster the development of stronger food safety cultures.
It outlines a partnership between government, industry and public health advocates based on a commitment to create a more modern approach to food safety.
The challenges that have arisen during the COVID-19 pandemic have accelerated the need for actions called for in the blueprint, especially in times of crisis.
New Era News...
Coming Soon - New Era TechTalk Podcast
On Thursday, April 29, 2021, FDA is launching the first in a new quarterly podcast series that focuses on the development and use of new technologies to strengthen the ability of FDA, regulated industry, and others to accelerate prevention, speed outbreak response, and more swiftly adapt to crises that could affect the human and animal food supply. Learn more about the new podcast.
Hear from Deputy Frank Commissioner Yiannas
- Fireside Chat in the THRIVE Innovation Series
- FDA Insight Podcast Discussing the New Era of Smarter Food Safety and Its Impact of COVID-19 Response
- Remarks at the International Association for Food Protection 2020 Annual Meeting
- Remarks for World Food Safety Day
- Pandemic Challenges Highlight the Importance of the New Era of Smarter Food Safety
- Fireside Chat with GS1 on New Era of Smarter Food Safety
- Conversation on FDA’s Perspective on Food Safety and Availability During and Beyond COVID-19
Announcements, Meetings, and Webinars
- Partnership with Mexico’s Regulators Strengthens Food Safety Protections
- Voluntary Pilot Program to Evaluate Alignment of Third-Party Food Safety Standards with FSMA Rules
- Tracking and Tracing of Food
- Import Screening Pilot Unleashes the Power of Data and Leverages Artificial Intelligence
- Announcement of the New Era of Smarter Food Safety Blueprint
- Webinar on The First 100 Days of the New Era of Smarter Food Safety
- Public Meeting on a New Era of Smarter Food Safety
The New Era of Smarter Food Safety builds on work that FDA has done to implement FSMA, which established science and risk-based protections.
Enhanced traceability and predictive analytics are New Era goals to speed outbreak response and prevention.
If you would like more information about the New Era of Smarter Food Safety, or have relevant information that you would like to share, contact us in the following ways:
For meeting and speaker requests, please include a request form when you contact us.