The fourth installment of FDA’s new podcast series on technology and food safety will focus on efforts to streamline and enhance data sharing between FDA and its regulatory partners at the state and local levels.
FDA and Stop Foodborne Illness, a non-profit public health organization, are announcing a fifth webinar in their collaborative series that explores food safety culture.
Welcome to the New Era of Smarter Food Safety. FDA is taking a new approach to food safety, leveraging technology and other tools and approaches to create a safer and more digital, traceable food system. Our ultimate goal is to bend the curve of foodborne illness in this country by reducing the number of illnesses.
The New Era of Smarter Food Safety blueprint, announced in July 2020, outlines achievable goals to enhance traceability, improve predictive analytics, respond more rapidly to outbreaks, address new business models, reduce contamination of food, and foster the development of stronger food safety cultures.
In FDA Voices, Frank Yiannas, Deputy Commissioner for Food Policy and Response, recognized some of the significant accomplishments achieved by FDA's Foods Program in 2021.
FDA, working with partners in the public and private sectors, has continued to advance goals in each of the four priority areas, called core elements.
- Tech-enabled Traceability
- Smarter Tools and Approaches for Prevention and Outbreak Response
- New Business Models and Retail Modernization
- Food Safety Culture
Get email updates delivered to your inbox.
Hear from Deputy Commissioner Frank Yiannas
- Remarks: International Association for Food Protection 2022 Annual Meeting August 2022
- Honoring 25 Years of PFSE’s Dedication to Consumer Food Safety Education May 2022
- FDA Voices: What FDA’s Foods Program Achieved in 2021 to Protect Consumers and the Food Supply January 2022
- FDA Voices: One Year Later, the New Era of Smarter Food Safety Blueprint Makes Inroads in FDA’s Public Health Mission July 2021
- Remarks: World Food Safety Day June 2021
- FDA Voices: FDA Seeks Innovative Food Traceability Tools and Opens a Dialogue on Advancing Food Safety with Technology June 2021
- Fireside Chat: THRIVE Innovation Series February 2021
- FDA Insight Podcast: New Era of Smarter Food Safety and Its Impact of COVID-19 Response January 2021
Announcements, Meetings, and Webinars
- FDA Announces the Final Rule for Food Traceability Under FSMA November 2022
- Announcement: FDA Outlines Strategy to Enhance the Safety of Powdered Infant Formula November 2022
- FDA Voices: FDA Outlines Work Underway to Ensure the Safety of Imported Produce October 2022
- Food Safety Matters Podcast: FDA Prevention Strategies to Enhance Food Safety October 2022
- Webinar: FDA and Stop Foodborne Illness Webinar on Rewards and Recognition Programs October 2022
- Announcement: FDA Releases Prevention Strategies to Enhance Food Safety October 2022
- FDA Voices: FDA Releases New, Prevention Strategies to Enhance Safety October 2022
- TechTalk Podcast Episode 4: Data Exchange in the New Era of Smarter Food Safety September 2022
- Webinar: How Remote Regulatory Assessments Help Ensure Food Safety September 2022
- Announcement: FDA Moves into Third Phase of Artificial Intelligence Imported Seafood Pilot Program August 2022
- Webinar: FDA and Stop Foodborne Illness Webinar on What More Do You Want to Know About Food Safety Culture? August 2022
- Conversations with Experts: Enhancing the Safety of Imported Shrimp Through Regulatory Partnerships May 2022
- Webinar: FDA and Stop Foodborne Illness Webinar on Building a Coalition of Food Safety Culture Champions Across Your Organization May 2022
- Webinar: Foodborne Outbreak Response Improvement Plan April 2022
- Announcement: FDA Launches Agricultural Water Assessment Builder to Help Farms Understand Agricultural Water Proposed Rule Requirements March 2022
- TechTalk Podcast Episode 3: Artificial Intelligence in the New Era of Smarter Food Safety March 2022
- Webinar: FDA and Stop Foodborne Illness Webinar on Making Leaders Risk Aware and Push to Reduce Risk February 2022
- Announcement: FDA Issues Foodborne Outbreak Response Improvement Plan December 2021
- Webinar: FDA and Stop Foodborne Illness Webinar on Collaborating on Culture in the New Era of Smarter Food Safety November 2021
- Summit: New Era of Smarter Food Safety Summit on E-Commerce: Ensuring the Safety of Foods Ordered Online and Delivered Directly to Consumers October 19-21, 2021
- Announcement: Signing of Domestic Mutual Reliance Agreements with California, Florida, Utah and Wisconsin October 2021
- Announcement: Meet the Winners of FDA's Low- or No-Cost Food Traceability Challenge September 2021
- TechTalk Podcast Episode 2: Whole Genome Sequencing in the New Era of Smarter Food Safety August 2021
- New Era of Smarter Food Safety Select Activities July 2021
- Announcement: FDA’s Food Traceability Challenge - Looking for Affordable Solutions June 2021
- Announcement: Retail Food Safety Regulatory Association Collaborative Ribbon Cutting May 2021
- TechTalk Podcast Episode 1: Tech-enabled Traceability in the New Era of Smarter Food Safety April 2021
- FDA Voices: Partnership with Mexico’s Regulators Strengthens Food Safety Protections March 2021
- FDA Voices: What FDA’s Foods Program Achieved in 2020 to Protect Consumers and the Food Supply January 2021
- FDA Voices: The FDA Food Safety Modernization Act at 10: Reflecting on Our Progress and the Path Forward January 2021
- FDA Voices: Unleashing the Power of FDA Data to Support COVID-19 Vaccine Distribution to Food and Agriculture Workers January 2021
- Announcement: Voluntary Pilot Program to Evaluate Alignment of Third-Party Food Safety Standards with FSMA Rules November 2020
- Webinar: The First 100 Days of the New Era of Smarter Food Safety October 2020
- Remarks: International Association for Food Protection 2020 Annual Meeting October 2020
- Tracking and Tracing of Food September 2020
- FDA Voices: Import Screening Pilot Unleashes the Power of Data and Leverages Artificial Intelligence August 2020
- Fireside Chat: Chat with GS1 on New Era of Smarter Food Safety July 2020
- Announcement: New Era of Smarter Food Safety Blueprint July 2020
- Remarks: World Food Safety Day 2020 June 2020
- FDA Voices: Pandemic Challenges Highlight the Importance of the New Era of Smarter Food Safety June 2020
- Conversation with Frank Yiannas: FDA’s Perspective on Food Safety and Availability During and Beyond COVID-19 April 2020
- Public Meeting: New Era of Smarter Food Safety October 2019
The New Era of Smarter Food Safety builds on work that FDA has done to implement FSMA, which established science and risk-based protections.
Enhanced traceability and predictive analytics are New Era goals to speed outbreak response and prevention.
If you would like more information about the New Era of Smarter Food Safety, or have relevant information that you would like to share, contact us in the following ways:
For meeting and speaker requests, please include a request form when you contact us.