Federal NARMS Partners
- CDC NARMS
CDC leads the human clinical portion of the NARMS program.
- USDA NARMS
USDA leads the food animal portion of the NARMS program.
NARMS Supplemental Material
- NARMS 2021-2025 Strategic Plan
- NARMS Methodology
- NARMS Interagency Laboratory Manual
- NARMS Retail Meat Isolation Protocol
- Interpretive Criteria for Susceptibility Testing
- Concentration Ranges Used for Susceptibility Testing
- NARMS Seafood Isolation Protocol
- NARMS On-Farm Sampling Project 2011-2015
- Get Smart About Antibiotics
Information for consumers on antibiotics and antibiotic resistance
- Antimicrobial Resistance
Animal and Veterinary
- Educational Materials on Antibiotics and Antibiotic Resistance
Brochures, posters, public service announcements, and other media
- Combating Antibiotic Resistance
FDA Consumer Update article on the appropriate use of antibiotics and the serious health threat of antibiotic resistance
- Fighting the Impact of Antibiotic-Resistant Bacteria
FDA Consumer Update article
- Antimicrobial Resistance Information for Consumers and Health Professionals
Information by drug class
- Canadian Integrated Program for Antimicrobial Resistance Surveillance (CIPARS) - This program monitors trends in antimicrobial use and antimicrobial resistance in selected bacterial organisms from human, animal, and food sources across Canada.
- Danish Integrated Antimicrobial Resistance Monitoring and Research Programme (DANMAP) - This program conducts surveillance of antimicrobial consumption and resistance in bacteria from animals, food, and humans.
- Norwegian Veterinary Institute, Report of Usage of Antimicrobial Agents and Occurrence of Antimicrobial Resistance in Norway - This national health registry collects data about antibiotic resistance of bacterial isolates from animals and humans to determine the incidence and prevalence of antibiotic resistance and monitor changes over time.
- Swedish Veterinary Antimicrobial Resistance Monitoring Programme (SVARM) - This program monitors and analyzes the development of antimicrobial resistance in bacteria from animals and in bacteria from food of animal origin. Results are published in a yearly report.
- Codex ad hoc Intergovernmental Task Force on Antimicrobial Resistance
This task force developed science-based guidelines to assess the risk to human health associated with non-human use of antimicrobials and to provide advice on risk management activities to reduce such risk.
- Clinical and Laboratory Standards Institute (CLSI) Subcommittee on Antimicrobial Susceptibility Testing
CLSI is an international, voluntary, nonprofit, interdisciplinary standards-setting and education organization. The CLSI Subcommittee on Antimicrobial Susceptibility Testing reviews a variety of data to develop antimicrobial susceptibility test methods, interpretive criteria and quality control parameters for use in clinical laboratories.
- World Health Organization Advisory Group on Integrated Surveillance of Antimicrobial Resistance (WHO-AGISAR)
AGISAR is an international group of experts that advises WHO on integrated surveillance of antimicrobial resistance and the containment of food-related antimicrobial resistance.
- Global Foodborne Infections Network (GFN)
The Global Foodborne Infections Network (GFN) equips countries to better detect and control foodborne and other enteric infections through increased capacity for integrated laboratory-based surveillance, and collaboration among human, veterinary, and food sectors.
- Transatlantic Taskforce on Antimicrobial Resistance (TATFAR)
The objectives of this task force are to increase the mutual understanding of US and EU activities and programs relevant to the antimicrobial resistance issues. The main outcome of the taskforce is a report, including a set of recommendations for future cooperation in the global fight to keep antimicrobials effective.
- World Organisation for Animal Health (OIE)
This is an intergovernmental organization responsible for improving animal health worldwide.
- OIE List of Antimicrobial Agents of Veterinary Importance
Find recent recommendations from OIE on the use of fluroquinolones and the third and fourth generation cephalosporins in animals on page 4.
- The European Surveillance of Veterinary Antimicrobial Consumption (ESVAC)
This project collects information on how antimicrobial medicines are used in animals across the European Union (EU). This type of information is essential to identify possible risk factors that could lead to the development and spread of antimicrobial resistance in animals.
- European Committee on Antimicrobial Susceptibility Testing (EUCAST)
EUCAST is a standing committee that deals with breakpoints and technical aspects of phenotypic in vitro antimicrobial susceptibility testing.
- European Food Safety Agency (EFSA)
EFSA is a Biological Monitoring Unit that monitors and analyzes the situation on antimicrobial resistance in food and animals across Europe.
- European Antimicrobial Resistance Surveillance Network (EARS-Net)
This is a European wide network of national surveillance systems, providing European reference data on antimicrobial resistance for public health purposes.