- Company Announcement Date:
- FDA Publish Date:
- Product Type:
- Food & Beverages
- Reason for Announcement:
Recall Reason DescriptionPotential Foodborne Illness, Salmonella
- Company Name:
- SOFIA PRODUCE, LLC dba Trufresh
- Brand Name:
Brand Name(s)Malichita, Rudy
- Product Description:
For Immediate Release, November 22, 2023 SOFIA PRODUCE, LLC, of Nogales, Arizona which does business under the name “Trufresh” (“Trufresh”) has expanded its recall of all sizes of fresh cantaloupes packaged in cardboard containers labeled with the “Malichita” label, and also labeled with the “Rudy” label to include all cantaloupes sold between the dates of October 10, 2023 and November 3, 2023, because they have the potential to be contaminated with Salmonella.
Salmonella is an organism which can cause serious and sometimes fatal infections in young children, frail or elderly people, and others with weakened immune systems. Healthy persons infected with Salmonella often experience fever, diarrhea (which may be bloody), nausea, vomiting and abdominal pain. In rare circumstances, infection with Salmonella can result in the organism getting into the bloodstream and producing more severe illnesses such as arterial infections (i.e., infected aneurysms), endocarditis and arthritis.
The cantaloupes were distributed directly to the following States in the United States: Arizona, California. Connecticut, Maryland, Missouri, Montana, Nevada, New Jersey, New York, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Utah, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Texas, Florida and Canada. The cantaloupes would have reached consumers through retail produce markets which may be located in states other than those listed above.
Trufresh has been advised that there are 97 illnesses reported to date that have been associated with this strain of Salmonella.
The Malichita brand cantaloupes are packaged in cardboard containers bearing the “Malichita” label (picture attached). The Malichita brand cantaloupes also have an individual PLU sticker placed upon each cantaloupe in the form of the attached picture. As shown in the picture, the PLU sticker has a top half which is white which has the word “Malichita” written in script in black letters. The bottom of the PLU sticker is black and has the number “4050” prominently displayed in white letters together with the words “Product of Mexico/produit du Mexique”. This label will identify individual Malichita cantaloupes purchased by consumers.
The Rudy brand cantaloupes are packaged in cardboard containers bearing the “Rudy” label (picture attached). The Rudy brand cantaloupes also have an individual PLU sticker placed upon each cantaloupe in the form of the attached picture. As shown in the picture, the PLU sticker 4050 This label will identify individual Rudy cantaloupes purchased by consumers.
Trufresh began this recall after the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) determined that Malichita cantaloupes have possible Salmonella contamination. The CFIA’s original recall was for possible Salmonella contamination of cantaloupes packaged with the same Malichita label and the same PLU sold to Fruits et Légumes Gaétan Bono. Trufresh is expanding the recall to encompass all cantaloupes under the Malichita brand and also the Rudy brand as a precautionary step.
Consumers should take the following actions:
- Check to see if you have recalled products
- Do not consume, serve, use, sell, or distribute recalled products
- Recalled products should be thrown out or returned to the location where they were purchased
- Consumers who are unsure if they have purchased the recalled product are advised to contact their retailer.
- If you think you became sick from consuming a recalled product, contact your healthcare provider
Information for Buyers:
- Trufresh is contacting each of the individual buyers to advise them of the recall. If the buyers associated with the above brands have not already been contacted by Trufresh, they should contact Trufresh at the number below.
- Buyers associated with the above sales who have received any Malichita or Rudy brand cantaloupes should remove any remaining product from their sales inventory.
- The Buyers should then dispose of the product and retain their records of disposal.
Consumers who have purchased the recalled products may obtain additional information by contacting Rafael Roiz, Tru Fresh’s representative Monday through Friday between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. Mountain Standard Time at (520) 394-7370.
Company Contact Information
- Rafael Roiz