Exporting Food Products from the United States

Firms exporting products from the United States are often asked by foreign customers or foreign governments to supply an "export certificate" for products regulated by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). Please note that:

  • FDA does not require that you obtain an export certificate
  • FDA is not required by law to issue export certificates (although the agency intends to continue to provide this service as resources permit)
  • FDA does not issue certificates for food manufactured outside the United States 

If you export food, it is your responsibility to:

  • Follow U.S. laws and regulations
  • Follow the requirements of the countries to which you export 

U.S. Milk Product Manufacturers/Processors with Interest in Exporting to China

The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is establishing a list of U.S. milk product manufacturers and processors interested in exporting milk products to China. FDA is taking this step to help U.S. manufacturers comply with new requirements of the Chinese government for the importation of milk products into China.

U.S. Dairy Product Manufacturers/Processors with Interest in Exporting to Chile

As a result of FDA discussions with Chile, FDA publishes a list of U.S. firms that wish to export dairy products to Chile. FDA took this action in response to discussions with Chile that were adjunct to the negotiations of the United States-Chile Free Trade Agreement. The list identifies U.S. firms that have expressed interest to FDA in exporting dairy products to Chile, that are subject to FDA jurisdiction, and that are not the subject of a pending judicial enforcement action (e.g., an injunction or seizure) or a pending warning letter.

FDA Export Certificates

The links below contain contact information for FDA food related Export Certificates. Also included below, are the PDF and online application forms for food and dietary supplement Export Certificates.

USDA Food Export Certificate Database

The United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) provides information on state-issued export certificates and a directory of state authorities. USDA’s Foreign Agricultural Service provides the Food and Agricultural Import Regulations and Standards (FAIRS) reports on foreign countries' export certificate requirements.

Association of Food and Drug Officials (AFDO)

AFDO maintains a listing of contact information of state and local regulatory officials involved with food, animal feed, animal health, and food defense.

Page Last Updated: 02/17/2017
Note: If you need help accessing information in different file formats, see Instructions for Downloading Viewers and Players.
Language Assistance Available: Español | 繁體中文 | Tiếng Việt | 한국어 | Tagalog | Русский | العربية | Kreyòl Ayisyen | Français | Polski | Português | Italiano | Deutsch | 日本語 | فارسی | English