Drug Shortages can occur for many reasons including manufacturing and quality problems, delays, and discontinuations. Manufacturers provide FDA most drug shortage information, and the agency works closely with them to prevent or reduce the impact of shortages.
Shortage notifications and updates may be reported to FDA at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Sixth Annual Report on Drug Shortages for Calendar Year 2018 (PDF - 400 KB)
- Current Supply of Heparin for U.S. Market Not Impacted By African Swine Fever in China
- CDC and FDA continue efforts to ensure timely access to front-line treatments for severe malaria (PDF - 102KB)
- Back to School with Emergency Allergy Treatments
- Agency Drug Shortages Task Force
- Search List of Extended Use Dates to Assist with Drug Shortages
- Webcast: Nov 27th Drug Shortages Task Force Public Meeting
- Drug Shortages Task Force Meeting Presentations
- FDA is Advancing New Efforts to Address Drug Shortages (11/19/2018)
- Director's Corner Podcasts: Drug Shortages. Dr. Woodcock discusses what the agency is doing to address the issue of drug shortages, and how the agency is working with industry to help lessen their impact.
- FDA announces Nov. 27, 2018 public meeting, Identifying the Root Causes of Drug Shortages and Finding Enduring Solutions
- Statement by FDA Commissioner Scott Gottlieb, M.D., on formation of a new drug shortages task force and FDA’s efforts to advance long-term solutions to prevent shortages
- Statement from Douglas Throckmorton, M.D., deputy center director for regulatory programs in FDA’s Center for Drug Evaluation and Research, on the agency’s response to ongoing drug shortages for critical products (6/19/2018)
Influenza Season 2018-2019
Availability of Antiviral Medications (PDF - 51KB) [Updated 4/5/2019]
Statement from FDA Commissioner Scott Gottlieb, M.D.
For Industry: Send FDA Drug Shortage and Supply Notifications
Industry can notify FDA Drug Shortage Staff via CDER Direct NextGen Portal.
This portal is intended ONLY for drug manufacturers/applicants. Industry can notify the FDA Drug Shortage Staff of new discontinuances, GMP issues, increase in product demand, recalls, supply interruptions, or other events. If you have any questions, please contact: email@example.com.
FDA Drug Shortages Mobile App
Receive notifications when there is new or updated information about a drug product shortage or a drug within selected therapeutic categories.