Illegal drug residues in the nation’s food supply are a concern to the Food and Drug Administration. The Center for Veterinary Medicine’s Division of Compliance is responsible for reviewing violative residues reported to the Agency by the USDA’s Food Safety and Inspection Service. The residues are ranked using a Risk Model to ensure Federal and/or State investigation of the residues of greatest public health concern for which assignments are issued. The Drug Residue Compliance Team provides regulatory support and outreach to prevent illegal drug residues by reviewing inspectional evidence sent to us by the FDA District Offices. We review this evidence for compliance with the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act and its implementing regulations. Because preventing illegal drugs in the nation’s food supply is important to us, we have established this informational drug residue web page to give visitors here a better understanding of what we do and one way we help to protect the nation’s food supply.
Milk Drug Residue Sampling Survey
- Questions and Answers: 2012 Milk Drug Residue Sampling Survey
- Milk Drug Residue Sampling Survey (PDF - 412KB)
- Milk Drug Residue Sampling Survey - Consolidated Data (XLSX - 42.7MB)
- Milk Drug Residue Sampling Survey - Audit Report (PDF - 362KB)
- 7371.006 - Illegal Drug Residues in Meat, Poultry, Seafood and Other Animal Derived Foods (PDF - 1.6MB)
- CPG Sec. 615.200 Proper Drug Use and Residue Avoidance by Non-Veterinarians
- Drug Residue Warning Letters
- Contempt of Injunctions
- Press Announcements
Enter the word “residue” in the search box to find drug residue press releases, which can then be sorted by date or relevance.
- CVM Updates
Enter the word “residue” in the search box to find CVM Updates related to drug residue, which can then be sorted by date or relevance.
USDA Food Safety and Inspection Service Resources
- Food Safety and Inspection Service National Residue Program (USDA)
The following items are located on this webpage: FSIS Repeat Violator List; FSIS Red Book (U.S. National Residue Program Residue Sample Results); FSIS Blue Book (U.S. National Residue Scheduled Sampling Plans)