The History of Veterinary Product Regulation
In 1927, The Food, Drug, and Insecticide Administration, later known as the Food and Drug Administration, was formed. The agency employed its first veterinarian, Dr. Henry Moskey, to evaluate vitamins and minerals in light of their claimed nutritional and treatment uses. In 1953, a Veterinary Medical Branch was created in the Bureau of Medicine, then part of the Department of Health, Education, and Welfare (DHEW). In 1965, the Secretary of DHEW established the Bureau of Veterinary Medicine (BVM). By 1984, after many more evolutionary changes, the Bureau of Veterinary Medicine became the Center for Veterinary Medicine (CVM).
Today CVM is an internationally recognized public health organization responsible for the evaluation, approval and surveillance of animal drugs, food additives, feed ingredients, and marketed animal devices. CVM works to increase the availability and diversity of safe and effective products that relieve animal pain and suffering, sustain their health, and improve animal productivity without compromising public health. CVM aligns and utilizes its resources wisely and makes practical use of state of the art science and technologies to best accomplish its mission.