The Art Of Cure MARCS-CMS 606596 —
- The Art Of Cure
6417 NE 56th St
Vancouver, WA 98661-2470
- Issuing Office:
- Center for Drug Evaluation and Research | CDER
- Federal Trade Commission
Date: April 15, 2020
RE: Unapproved and Misbranded Products Related to Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)
This is to advise you that the United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) reviewed your website at the Internet address at https://theartofcure.net/ on April 1, 2020, and April 13, 2020, respectively. We also reviewed your social media website at https://www.facebook.com/TheArtOfCure/, where you direct consumers to your website, https://theartofcure.net/, to purchase your products. The FDA has observed that your website offers homeopathic drug products for sale in the United States and that these products are intended to mitigate, prevent, treat, diagnose, or cure COVID-19 in people. Based on our review, these products are unapproved new drugs sold in violation of section 505(a) of the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act (FD&C Act), 21 U.S.C. § 355(a). Furthermore, these products are misbranded drugs under section 502 of the FD&C Act, 21 U.S.C. § 352. The introduction or delivery for introduction of these products into interstate commerce is prohibited under sections 301(a) and (d) of the FD&C Act, 21 U.S.C. § 331(a) and (d).
There is currently a global outbreak of respiratory disease caused by a novel coronavirus that has been named “severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2” (SARS-CoV-2). The disease caused by the virus has been named “Coronavirus Disease 2019” (COVID-19). On January 31, 2020, the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) issued a declaration of a public health emergency related to COVID-19 and mobilized the Operating Divisions of HHS. In addition, on March 13, 2020, the President declared a national emergency in response to COVID-19. Therefore, FDA is taking urgent measures to protect consumers from certain products that, without approval or authorization by FDA, claim to mitigate, prevent, treat, diagnose, or cure COVID-19 in people. As described below, you sell products that are intended to mitigate, prevent, treat, diagnose, or cure COVID-19 in people. We request that you take immediate action to cease the sale of such unapproved products for the mitigation, prevention, treatment, diagnosis, or cure of COVID-19.
Some examples of the claims on your websites that establish the intended use of your products and misleadingly represent them as safe and/or effective for the treatment or prevention of COVID-19 include:
- “BOOST NATURAL IMMUNITY HOMEOPATHICALLY FOR CIRCULATING VIRUSES, INCLUDING COVID-19” [from your website https://theartofcure.net/blogs/news/boost-natural-immunity-homeopathically-for-circulating-viruses-including-covid-19]
- “Top Compiled HOMEOPATHIC Remedies for Coronavirus: … what remedies to use to lessen the chance of contraction and treat the virus. . . . 1. Homeopathic Coronavirus – a homeopathic made out of actual coronavirus . . . that you can take to lessen the chance of contraction. . . . PURCHASE HERE to purchase . . . 2) Petasites hybridus . . . key to helping with the cough and lung symptoms produced by this coronavirus. to purchase . . . 3) Arsenicum album . . . excellent remedy to treat respiratory distress . . . pneumonia . . . PURCHASE HERE to purchase . . . 4) Gelsemium sempervirens . . . Homeopaths have treated individuals with coronavirus using Gelsemium in China with success . . . to purchase . . . 5) Eupatorium perfoliatum . . . has been used with success to treat the coronavirus in China during this outbreak . . to purchase . . . 6) Bryonia alba . . . has been used with success in this coronavirus outbreak in China . . . to purchase . . . 7) Influenzinum 2019-2020 . . . to purchase . . . 8) Aconitum napellus: great for shortness of breath, high fevers, dry cough . . . to purchase . . . 9) Rumex: for that incessant tickle in the back of the throat that causes a suffocating coughing spell . . . to purchase . . . 10) Squilla Maritima – for difficult and labored breathing . . . violent coughing spells . . . to purchase . . . 11) Kali-Carbonicum – Shortness of breath, labored breathing, cough is spasmodic, dry and suffocating at night . . . to purchase” [from your website https://theartofcure.net/blogs/news/boost-natural-immunity-homeopathically-for-circulating-viruses-including-covid-19]
- “NEW CORONAVIRUS: ALL EYES ON INDIA . . . what does India know about the new coronavirus and COVID-19 disease . . . India reports that it has 23,531 people under observation, with no current infections or deaths . . . How is this possible . . . Could India’s dependence on homeopathy be one reason for the difference . . . [from your website https://theartofcure.net/blogs/news/new-coronavirus-all-eyes-on-india]
- The [Central Council for Research in Homeopathy] recommended that homeopathy medicine Arsenicum album 30 could be taken as a prophylactic medicine against Coronavirus infections . . . Judging by recent COVID-19 patient accounts and case reports other remedies may also be useful. What can be said at this early stage is that Arsenicum album is a contender and its use will not harm those who take it.” [from your website https://theartofcure.net/blogs/news/new-coronavirus-all-eyes-on-india]
- “CORONA-KIT & CONSULTATION . . . THIS IS OUR CORONA-KIT . . . THIS KIT CONTAINS GENUS EPIDEMICUS REMEDIES FOR COVID19” [from your website https://theartofcure.net/products/corona-kit-consultation?_pos=1&_sid=c80825cd8&_ss=r]
- “Read, share, and stock up . . . Boost Natural Immunity Homeopathically for Circulating Viruses, Including COVID-19” [from a March 11 post on your social media website https://www.facebook.com/TheArtOfCure/]
- “Educational post: CORONAVIRUS Treatment with Homeopathy and Natural Medicine” [from a March 7 post on your social media website https://www.facebook.com/TheArtOfCure/]
You should take immediate action to correct the violations cited in this letter. This letter is not meant to be an all-inclusive list of violations that exist in connection with your products or operations. It is your responsibility to ensure that the products you sell are in compliance with the FD&C Act and FDA's implementing regulations. We advise you to review your websites, product labels, and other labeling and promotional materials to ensure that you are not misleadingly representing your products as safe and effective for a COVID-19-related use for which they have not been approved by FDA and that you do not make claims that misbrand the products in violation of the FD&C Act. Within 48 hours, please send an email to COVID-19-Task-Force-CDER@fda.hhs.gov describing the specific steps you have taken to correct these violations. Include an explanation of each step being taken to prevent the recurrence of violations, as well as copies of related documentation. Failure to immediately correct the violations cited in this letter may result in legal action, including, without limitation, seizure and injunction.
FDA is advising consumers not to purchase or use certain products that have not been approved, cleared, or authorized by FDA and that are being misleadingly represented as safe and/or effective for the treatment or prevention of COVID-19. Your firm will be added to a published list on FDA’s website of firms and websites that have received warning letters from FDA concerning the sale or distribution of COVID-19 related products in violation of the FD&C Act. This list can be found at http://www.fda.gov/consumers/health-fraud-scams/fraudulent-coronavirus-disease-covid-19-products. Once you have taken corrective actions to cease the sale of your unapproved and unauthorized products for the mitigation, prevention, treatment, diagnosis, or cure of COVID-19, and such actions have been confirmed by the FDA, the published list will be updated to indicate that your firm has taken appropriate corrective action.
If you cannot complete corrective action within 48 hours, state the reason for the delay and the time within which you will complete the corrections. If you believe that your products are not in violation of the FD&C Act, include your reasoning and any supporting information for our consideration.
If you are not located in the United States, please note that products that appear to be misbranded or unapproved new drugs are subject to detention and refusal of admission if they are offered for importation into the United States. We may advise the appropriate regulatory officials in the country from which you operate that FDA considers your product(s) referenced above to be unapproved and misbranded products that cannot be legally sold to consumers in the United States.
Please direct any inquiries to FDA at COVID-19-Task-Force-CDER@fda.hhs.gov.
In addition, it is unlawful under the FTC Act, 15 U.S.C. 41 et seq., to advertise that a product can prevent, treat, or cure human disease unless you possess competent and reliable scientific evidence, including, when appropriate, well-controlled human clinical studies, substantiating that the claims are true at the time they are made. For COVID-19, no such study is currently known to exist for the products identified above. Thus, any coronavirus-related prevention or treatment claims regarding such products are not supported by competent and reliable scientific evidence. You must immediately cease making all such claims. Violations of the FTC Act may result in legal action seeking a Federal District Court injunction and an order may require that you pay back money to consumers. Within 48 hours, please send an email to Richard Cleland, Assistant Director of the FTC’s Division of Advertising Practices, via electronic mail at email@example.com describing the specific actions you have taken to address the FTC’s concerns. If you have any questions regarding compliance with the FTC Act, please contact Mr. Cleland at 202-326-3088.
Donald D. Ashley
Office of Compliance
Center for Drug Evaluation and Research
Food and Drug Administration
Richard A. Quaresima
Acting Associate Director
Division of Advertising Practices
Federal Trade Commission
 As explained in the next paragraph, there is currently an outbreak of a respiratory disease named “Coronavirus Disease 2019” (COVID-19).
 Secretary of Health and Human Services Alex M. Azar II, Determination that a Public Health Emergency Exists. Jan. 31, 2020. (Accessible at https://www.phe.gov/emergency/news/healthactions/phe/Pages/2019-nCoV.aspx).
 President Donald J. Trump, Proclamation on Declaring a National Emergency Concerning the Novel Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19). Mar. 13, 2020. (Accessible at https://www.whitehouse.gov/presidential-actions/proclamation-declaring-national-emergency-concerning-novel-coronavirus-disease-covid-19-outbreak/).