The Food and Drug Administration conducted a risk assessment of certain health risks from inorganic arsenic in rice and products that contain rice.
The assessment includes (1) a quantitative estimate of lung and bladder cancer risk from long-term exposure to these products and the predicted impact of various scenarios to reduce the risk, and (2) a qualitative assessment of certain potential non-cancer risks, in certain susceptible life stages.
- Arsenic in Rice and Rice Products Risk Assessment Report (PDF, 7.3MB) March 2016
Note: you may request access to the risk model related to this risk assessment by sending a note to FDAFoodSafetyRiskModel@fda.hhs.gov.
- External Peer Review Report: Arsenic in Rice and Rice Products Risk Assessment: Draft Report, Addendum, and Model (PDF, 582KB) December 2015
- FDA’s Response to External Peer Review1 on FDA’s “Arsenic in Rice and Rice Products Risk Assessment: Draft Report” (July 2015), “Addendum to FDA’s Arsenic in Rice and Rice Products Risk Assessment,” and “Arsenic in Rice and Rice Products Risk Assessment Cancer Model” (PDF, 113KB) February 2016
FDA is accepting public comments starting April 6, 2016. You may submit comments electronically in Docket No. FDA-2016-D-1099.
Additional information on how to comment:
- Federal Register Notice Announcing the Risk Assessment
- Federal Register Notice Extending the Comment Period
Analytical Results from Inorganic Arsenic in Rice Cereals for Infants, Non-rice Infant Cereal and Other Foods Commonly Eaten by Infants and Toddlers (XLSX, 79KB)
Analytical Results from Sampling, Posted April 2016