Public Notification: Jianbu Huqian Wan contains hidden drug ingredients
[5-4-2015] The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is advising consumers not to purchase or use Jianbu Huqian Wan, a product promoted for joint pain. This product was identified by FDA during an examination of international mail shipments.
- Dexamethasone is a corticosteroid commonly used to treat inflammatory conditions. Consumers are advised that corticosteroid use can impair a person’s ability to fight infections, cause high blood sugar levels, muscle injuries and psychiatric problems. When corticosteroids are taken for a prolonged period, or at high doses, they can suppress the adrenal gland and cause withdrawal symptoms with abrupt discontinuation.
- Chlorpheniramine is an antihistamine generally used for allergies. Antihistamines may cause drowsiness and affect mental alertness.
- Furosemide is the active pharmaceutical ingredient in Lasix, a potent diuretic which is available only through prescription for use in the treatment of congestive heart failure, high blood pressure, and edema. It can cause profound dehydration and electrolyte imbalance, with loss of potassium, calcium, sodium, and magnesium. Patients allergic to sulfonamides may also be allergic to furosemide. Serious adverse effects from overdose may lead to dehydration, seizures, gastrointestinal problems, kidney damage, lethargy (tiredness), collapse, and coma.
- Complete and submit the report online MedWatch Online Voluntary Reporting Form, or:
- Download and complete the form, then submit it via fax at 1-800-FDA-0178.