Prescription pain relievers (including narcotics, depressants and stimulants) are safe and effective when used correctly for a medical condition and under a doctor's supervision. But they can cause serious side effects if not used correctly. Incorrect use or use for non-medical reasons can lead to abuse, addiction and even death.
- Educational Resources: Misuse of Prescription Pain Relievers
- Lock it Up: Medicine Safety in Your Home
- CDER Takes Steps to End Prescription Pain Medicine Misuse, Abuse, and Addiction
- Combating Misuse and Abuse of Prescription Drugs: Q&A with Michael Klein, Ph.D
- Safe Use of Over-the-Counter Pain Relievers and Fever Reducers
- Using Acetaminophen and Nonsteroidal Anti-inflammatory Drugs Safely
- Office of National Drug Control Policy (ONDCP), Prescription Drug Abuse Prevention
- Parents. The Anti-Drug.