Cosmetic Registration Reports
March 27, 2023
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has stopped accepting and processing submissions to the Voluntary Cosmetic Registration Program (VCRP) as a result of FDA’s plans to develop a program for submission of the facility registrations and product listings mandated by the “Modernization of Cosmetics Regulation Act of 2022” (MoCRA). For further information please see FDA Has Stopped Accepting Submissions to the Voluntary Cosmetic Registration Program (VCRP).
VCRP information is available in the FDA.gov archive.
The information in the tables below is a monthly report of activity in FDA's Voluntary Cosmetic Registration Program (VCRP).
VCRP Monthly Status Report
Because the law does not require cosmetic firms to register their establishments or file their product formulations with FDA, participation in this program is voluntary. For this reason, the information below does not indicate the total number of companies manufacturing or marketing cosmetics in this country, or all cosmetic products on the market.
Activity for February 2023
- Number of online accounts activated this month: 165
- Number of products filed this month: 222
Total activity since the launch of the new online system, September 20, 2018
- Number of active online accounts: 8,317
- Number of active cosmetic establishment registrations: 4,728
- Number of labelers that have filed product formulations*: 2,063
- Number of filed products: 30,908
- Number of product formulations discontinued**: 2,718
- Number of product formulations rejected***: 2,438
Total activity since the VCRP was established, in 1972
- Number of active cosmetic establishment registrations: 5,176
- Number of labelers that have filed product formulations*: 2,336
- Number of active products on file: 35,102
- Number of product formulations discontinued**: 134,082
- Number of product formulations rejected***: 2,783
*The "labeler" is the business identified on the label of a cosmetic product.
**"Product formulations discontinued" are those that have been removed from the VCRP because the company has identified them as no longer in commercial distribution.
***"Product formulations rejected" are those that are incomplete or have errors that need to be corrected before they can be filed in the VCRP.