Back to Science & Research (Drugs)
Regulatory science is the science of developing new tools, standards, and approaches to assess the safety, efficacy, quality, and performance of FDA-regulated products.
Learn more about:
- CDER's Regulatory Science Research Goals
- CDER's Regulatory Science Program Areas
- CDER's Regulatory Science Initiatives
CDER's regulatory science activities are aimed at speeding the development of new drugs while ensuring that they are safe and effective. To accomplish this, CDER leads a multifaceted effort that engages scientists from a wide variety of scientific disciplines to pursue three objectives:
- Create new methods, tools, and analytical approaches that can support and accelerate the evaluation of new drug products.
- Develop new processes and technologies that help ensure that drug products are manufactured to the highest quality standards.
- Build information systems and computational tools that can help predict and promptly identify issues with the safety and effectiveness of marketed drugs.