Ask your veterinarian these questions each time he or she prescribes a medication for your pet.
- Why are you prescribing this medication for my pet and how long do I need to give it?
- How do I give the medication to my pet? Should it be given with food?
- How often should the medication be given and how much should I give each time? If it's a liquid, should I shake it first?
- How do I store the medication?
- What should I do if my pet vomits or spits out the medication?
- If I forget to give the medication, should I give it as soon as I remember or wait until the next scheduled dose? What if I accidently give too much?
- Should I finish giving all the medication, even if my pet seems to be back to normal?
- Could this medication interact with other medications my pet is taking?
- What side effects should I watch for, and what should I do if I see any in my pet?
- When should I bring my pet back for a recheck? Are you going to call me to check on how my pet is doing, or should I call you?
If you have any questions during your pet’s treatment, talk with your veterinarian.