The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is announcing a series of public workshops about menu labeling to help industry comply with requirements to provide calorie and other nutrition information to consumers. The workshops will address the menu labeling final rule – Nutrition Labeling of Standard Menu Items in Restaurants and Similar Retail Food Establishments. Federal law and FDA regulations require certain chain restaurants and similar retail food establishments to give consumers nutrition information on standard menu items. The compliance date for these requirements is May 5, 2017.
The purpose of these workshops is to further the dialogue with industry about implementation of the menu labeling final rule and provide additional clarity on the requirements. Interested parties will have the opportunity to discuss specific menu labeling questions and concerns directly with FDA subject matter experts through pre-scheduled one-on-one sessions.
St. Louis, Missouri
September 27-28, 2016
8:00 am to 4:30 pm
Robert A. Young Federal Building
1222 Spruce St., St. Louis, MO
November 16-17, 2016
8:00 am to 4:30 pm
Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Oakland Airport
77 Hegenberger Rd, Oakland, CA 94621
College Park, Maryland
July 7-8, 2016
College Park, MD
Registration and Meeting Information
Workshop attendees are encouraged to register online to attend the meeting in person. Attendees may also request a one-on-one session with FDA subject matter experts. The number of these sessions is limited, so early registration is recommended to facilitate planning of one-on-one sessions and due to limited seating.
- Register Online
- Federal Register Notice Announcing the Missouri and Maryland Workshops
- Federal Register Notice Announcing the California Workshop
For questions about registering for the meetings or to request special accommodations due to a disability, contact Cindy de Sales, The Event Planning Group, 8720 Georgia Ave., Suite 801, Silver Spring, MD 20910; Phone: 240-316-3207; Fax: 240-652-6002; Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
For general information about the public meetings, contact Loretta A. Carey, Center for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition (HFS-820), Food and Drug Administration, 5001 Campus Drive, College Park, MD 20740; Phone: 240-402-2371.
Please note the following important dates:
- 9/20/16 - advance registration deadline for the St. Louis, MO Meeting to be held on September 27-28, 2016
- 11/9/2016 - advance registration and requests for special accommodations due to a disability deadlines for the Oakland, California Meeting to be held on November 16-17, 2016
- Final Rule: Nutrition Labeling of Standard Menu Items in Restaurants and Similar Retail Food Establishments
- Guidance for Industry: A Labeling Guide for Restaurants and Retail Establishments Selling Away-From-Home Foods – Part II (Menu Labeling Requirements in Accordance With FDA’s Food Labeling Regulations)