Tattoos & Permanent Makeup
Consumers, manufacturers, tattoo artists, and health care providers may have questions about the safety and regulation of tattoos, permanent makeup, temporary tattoos, and henna (mehndi). Here are FDA resources on these topics.
- Tattoos & Permanent Makeup: Fact Sheet
- FDA Advice on Certain Tattoo Inks and Tattoo Kits Sold Online
- Inks Used in Certain Tattoo Kits Cause Infections: Consumer Update
- Think Before You Ink: Are Tattoos Safe? Consumer Update
- FDA Webinar on Tattoos & Permanent Makeup: March 15, 2011
- Tattoos and Permanent Makeup: From FDA's Office of Women's Health
- Tattoo-Associated Nontuberculous Micobacterial Skin Infections: From the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- Tattoo Ink-Related Infections--Awareness, Diagnosis, Reporting, and Prevention: From the New England Journal of Medicine
- Temporary Tattoos, Henna/Mehndi, and "Black Henna": Fact Sheet
- Temporary Tattoos May Put You at Risk: Consumer Update
- Temporary Tattoos: Raising Consumer Awareness of Safety: FDA Webinar, May 13, 2014
- Import Alert #53-14: Intensified Coverage of Temporary Tattoos Containing Non-Permitted Color Additives and/or Failing to Bear Ingredient Declaration
- Import Alert #53-19: Detention Without Physical Examination of Henna Based Skin Color
- Warning Letter Issued to Black Henna Ink, Inc.