Resources for You
What does FDA regulate?
- safety and truthful labeling of all food products including dietary supplements
(except for livestock meat and poultry products, which are regulated by the U.S. Department of Agriculture)
- venison and other game meat
- bottled water
- food additives
- infant formulas
Human Prescription and Non-prescription Drugs
- safety, effectiveness, quality, and labeling
- manufacturing standards
Vaccines, Blood Products, and Other Biologics
- product and manufacturing establishment licensing
- safety of the nation's blood supply
- research to establish product standards and develop improved testing methods
- from simple items like tongue depressors, to complex technologies such as heart pacemakers
- premarket approval of new devices
- manufacturing and performance standards
- tracking reports of device malfunctioning and serious adverse reactions
- products that give off radiation, such as microwave ovens and X-ray equipment
- radiation safety performance standards for microwave ovens, television receivers, diagnostic
- x-ray equipment, cabinet x-ray systems (such as baggage x-rays at airports), laser products,
- ultrasonic therapy equipment, mercury vapor lamps, and sunlamps
- accrediting and inspecting mammography facilities
- livestock feeds
- pet foods
- veterinary drugs and devices
- veterinary biologics not regulated by USDA are considered new animal drugs
- What doesn’t FDA regulate? How do I contact the agencies that do?
- What is the difference between the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act (FD&C Act), FDA regulations, and FDA guidance?
- FDA Basics Metrics: July 2011
- FDA Basics Metrics: June 2011
- FDA Basics Metrics: May 2011
- FDA Basics Metrics: March 2011
- When and why was FDA formed?
- What does FDA do?
- What does FDA inspect?
- How is FDA organized?
- What does FDA regulate?
- How many people are employed by FDA and in what areas do they work?
- FDA Basics Metrics: July 2012
- FDA Basics Metrics: June 2012
- FDA Basics Metrics: December 2011
- FDA Basics Metrics: May 2012
- FDA Basics Metrics: April 2012
- FDA Basics Metrics: March 2012
- FDA Basics Metrics: February 2012
- FDA Basics Metrics: January 2012
- FDA Basics Metrics: November 2011
- FDA Basics Metrics: October 2011
- FDA Basics Metrics : September 2011
- FDA Basics Metrics: August 2011
- FDA Basics Metrics: April 2011
How helpful was this information?