Science & Research
OWH Research and Development Program
The FDA Office of Women’s Health (OWH) Research and Development Program supports scientific research and workshops that:
- advocate for the inclusion of women in clinical trials and data analyses by sex.
- look for potential sex-based differences in the safety and efficacy of FDA-regulated medical products.
- promote a better understanding of health conditions that solely or disproportionately affect women.
OWH Research Activities
- Intramural Research Program - OWH provides research grants to FDA scientists to develop projects that address regulatory research questions related to sex differences and other women’s health issues. Grants are approximately $100,000 - $150,000 for 1-2 year studies. View a list of Intramural Research Grants by Funding Year or by Therapeutic Category
- Extramural Research Collaborations - OWH collaborates with other government agencies and private partners to address regulatory research questions that require technology, expertise or resources outside the agency.
- Special Funding Initiatives – OWH funds projects that rapidly respond to emerging or under-studied women’s health issues. OWH has used Special Funding Initiatives to fund workshops and conduct analytical surveys.
Visit the “Research Initiatives” page to learn more about OWH research efforts.
OWH Resarch Summary Reports
- Response to Congressional Request on FY2002 Funding for Gender-Based Research (June 2002)
- Protecting and Advancing the Health of Women - A Congressional Briefing (May 2005)
- FDA Office of Women’s Health Progress Report: 10 Years and Beyond (March 2007)
- The Food and Drug Administration Office of Women’s Health: Impact of Science on Regulatory Policy. Journal of Women’s Health Vol 16. Obias-Manno D, Scott PE, Kaczmarczyk J, Miller M, Pinnow E, Lee-Bishop L, Jones-London M, Chapman K, Kallgren D, Uhl K. (August 2007)
- Marsha Henderson, MCRP - Assistant Commissioner for Women’s Health
- Pamela Scott, PhD - Director of Research and Development
10903 New Hampshire Avenue
WO32-2333Silver Spring, MD 20993