News & Events
Seasonal Flu (Influenza) and the FDA
The FDA is responsible for ensuring the safety, effectiveness, and supply of:
- Flu vaccines
- Flu antiviral drugs
To find out the latest information on the seasonal flu, go to Flu.gov.
Flu seasons are unpredictable and influenza disease can have severe consequences. Annual vaccination remains the best way to prevent the flu.
Use the Flu Vaccine Finder to find a location near you.
For in-depth information from the FDA on the flu vaccine, see Influenza Virus Vaccine Safety & Availability.
Shortages: To report a flu vaccine shortage, send email to CBERshortage@fda.hhs.gov or phone 240-402-8380.
Flu Antiviral Drugs
Flu antiviral medications are prescription pills, liquids, or inhalers used to prevent or treat flu. They are approved for adults, children and infants as young as two weeks.
- If you get the flu, antiviral medications can make your illness milder and make you feel better faster. Antiviral medications work best when started within the first two days of getting sick.
- If you are exposed to the flu, antiviral medication can help prevent you from becoming sick. Antiviral drugs are not a substitute for the flu vaccine. Talk to your health care provider if you have been or may be near a person with the flu.
For in-depth information from the FDA on flu antiviral drugs, see Influenza (Flu) Antiviral Drugs and Related Information.
Availability and Shortages:
- For details on availability of flu antiviral drugs, see 2012-2013 Influenza Season: Availability of Antivirals.
- To report a shortage of a flu antiviral drug, send email to firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 888-INFO-FDA (888-463-6332) or 301-796-3400.
Consumer Updates on Seasonal Flu
- The Evolution, and Revolution, of Flu Vaccines
- It's Not Too Late to Get a Flu Shot
- Get Set for Winter Illness Season
News Releases and Statements on Seasonal Flu
- Brief shortage of Tamiflu oral suspension (01/14/2014)
- FDA approves first adjuvanted vaccine for prevention of H5N1 avian influenza (11/22/2013)
- FDA approves new seasonal influenza vaccine made using novel technology (01/16/2013)
FDA Voice Blog on Seasonal Flu