Having a baby can be a joyous time.The FDA has lots of resources to help you make good choices about medicines, foods, and other products for you and your baby.
Some women need to take medicines during pregnancy for health problems like diabetes, depression, morning sickness or seizures. Always talk with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist before taking any medicines, vitamins or herbs. Don't stop taking your prescription medicines unless your health care provider says that it is OK.
Watch and learn about free resources from FDA and text4baby. Vea el video en español.
Lots of women need to take medicines while they are pregnant. Learn how you can sign-up for a pregnancy registry to share your experience with medicines.
Use these resources to help you talk with your health care provider about the medicines you take during your pregnancy.
Pregnancy makes it harder for your body to fight off illness caused by food. Some foods are not safe for you and your baby. Check out these food safety tips.
Checklist of Foods to Avoid During Pregnancy (foodsafety.gov)
The FDA has general tips on how to safely use a breast pump and store breast milk. Talk to your health care provider for other breastfeeding tips.
There is a lot you need to know about the medicines and other products you use for your baby. FDA has free videos and brochures to help you talk to your healthcare provider about what is best for you and your baby.
Giving Medicine to Children (video)
General Pregnancy Resources
- text4baby - Free text messages for pregnant women and new moms
- MedlinePlus - Links to other goverment resources for pregnant women
- womenshealth.gov - Helpful tips on pregnancy
- Flu.gov - Pregnant Women and the Flu
NIH - Gestational Diabetes CDC - Diabetes and Pregnancy CDC - Medications and Pregnancy March of Dimes
- MotherToBaby (Organization of Teratology Information Specialists) Call to speak with a counselor about taking medicines while you are pregnant or breastfeeding. 1-866-626-6847.
- Up and Away - A program on how to safely store medicines