This page contains links to content about both pasteurized and raw milk from across the Food section of FDA.gov. There are links for videos, news, consumer information, guidance documents, and other industry information.
Raw milk is milk from cows, sheep, or goats that has not been pasteurized to kill harmful bacteria. This raw, unpasteurized milk can carry dangerous bacteria such as Salmonella, E. coli, and Listeria, which are responsible for causing numerous foodborne illnesses.
Decades ago, pasteurization of milk was adopted as a basic public health measure to kill dangerous bacteria. This measure largely eliminated the risk of getting sick from one of the most important staples of the American diet.
On this page:
- Consumer Materials
- News and Events
- Guidance and Regulations
- Additional Information for Industry
- Resources from Other Sites
A Survey of Milk in Dark Chocolate Products
- Consumer Update: What FDA Learned About Dark Chocolate and Milk Allergies
- Constituent Update: FDA’s Survey of Milk Finds Few Drug Residues
- Consumer Update: Have Food Allergies? Read the Label
- Consumer Update: Raw Milk May Pose Health Risk
- Consumer Update: Cooperative Programs Help Keep Food Safe [ARCHIVED]
- Consumer Update: Problems Digesting Dairy Products?
- Consumer Update: FDA and CDC Remind Consumers of the Dangers of Drinking Raw Milk [ARCHIVED]
The Dangers of Raw Milk: Unpasteurized Milk Can Pose a Serious Health Risk Questions & Answers: Raw Milk Problems Digesting Dairy Products? Raw Milk Misconceptions and the Danger of Raw Milk Consumption
- Testimony before the Committee on Rural Economic Development, Wisconsin State Assembly, March 10, 2010 (PDF - 67KB)
- Testimony before the Health and Government Operations Committee, Maryland House of Delegates, March 17, 2009 (PDF - 63KB)
- Testimony before the Health and Government Operations Committee, Maryland House of Delegates, March 15, 2007 (PDF - 55KB)
News and Events
FDA Is Taking a New Look at Criteria for Raw Milk Cheese
FDA Update on the Status of Artisanal Cheese
Federal government gains permanent injunction against raw milk producer[ARCHIVED]
Foodborne outbreak associated with raw milk from Tucker Adkins Dairy of York S.C.[ARCHIVED]
Public Health Agencies Warn of Outbreaks Related to Drinking Raw Milk[ARCHIVED]
FDA and CDC Remind Consumers of the Dangers of Drinking Raw Milk[ARCHIVED]
FDA Warns Consumers to Avoid Drinking Raw Milk[ARCHIVED]