On September 13, 2011, the Department of Health and Human Services, with several key initial partners, launched Million Hearts, an initiative that aims to prevent one million heart attacks and strokes over the next five years. As one component of this initiative, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and the Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) are launching efforts to identify opportunities to reduce sodium in food in order to put more control into consumers' hands. Excess sodium is a contributory factor in the development of hypertension, which is a major risk factor for heart disease and stroke.
FDA and FSIS are seeking comments on sodium reduction
FDA and FSIS have established dockets to obtain comments, data, and evidence relevant to the dietary intake of sodium as well as current and emerging approaches designed to promote sodium reduction.
- Federal Register Notice: Approaches to Reducing Sodium Consumption; Establishment of Dockets; Request for Comments, Data and Information, September 15, 2011 (also in PDF (167KB))
- Federal Register Notice: Extension of Comment Period (to January 27, 2012) for the Submission Of Comments, Data, and Information, November 30, 2011 (also in PDF (50KB))
FDA and FSIS, along with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and USDA's Agricultural Research Service and Center for Nutrition Policy and Promotion, sponsored a public meeting to provide interested persons an opportunity to discuss the topics raised in the September 15, 2011 Federal Register Notice. The sponsoring agencies provided multiple opportunities for individuals to actively express their views by making presentations at the meeting, participating in breakout sessions, and submitting written comments to the designated docket(s) by January 27, 2012. We recognize ongoing efforts by a number of members of the restaurant and packaged food industries to reduce sodium and appreciate the complexities of reducing sodium in foods. Continued input and support from industry and other stakeholders are important to support further progress on this significant public health issue. The public meeting will inform possible future action by the agencies.
- Federal Register Notice: Approaches to Reducing Sodium Consumption; Public Meeting, October 12, 2011 (also in PDF (166KB))
- Public meeting on November 10, 2011
Consumer Information on Reducing Sodium Intake
- Sodium: Look at the Label (FDA)
- Sodium in Your Diet: Using the Nutrition Facts Label to Reduce Your Intake (FDA)
- Salt and Sodium - 10 Tips to Cut Back (available in PDF (320KB)) (USDA/CNPP)
- Most Americans Should Consume Less Sodium (CDC)
- Salt: What You Can Do (CDC)
- Sodium Fact Sheet (available in PDF (161KB)) (CDC)