Registration of Food Facilities
The Public Health Security and Bioterrorism Preparedness and Response Act of 2002 (the Bioterrorism Act) directs the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), as the food regulatory agency of the Department of Health and Human Services, to take steps to protect the public from a threatened or actual terrorist attack on the U.S. food supply and other food-related emergencies.
To carry out certain provisions of the Bioterrorism Act, FDA established regulations requiring that:
Food facilities register with FDA, and
FDA be given advance notice on shipments of imported food.
These regulations became effective on December 12, 2003.
The FDA Food Safety Modernization Act (FSMA), enacted on January 4, 2011, amended section 415 of the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act (FD&C Act), in relevant part, to require that facilities engaged in manufacturing, processing, packing, or holding food for consumption in the United States submit additional registration information to FDA, including an assurance that FDA will be permitted to inspect the facility at the times and in the manner permitted by the FD&C Act. Section 415 of the FD&C Act, as amended by FSMA, also requires food facilities required to register with FDA to renew such registrations every other year, and provides FDA with authority to suspend the registration of a food facility in certain circumstances. Specifically, if FDA determines that food manufactured, processed, packed, received, or held by a registered food facility has a reasonable probability of causing serious adverse health consequences or death to humans or animals, FDA may by order suspend the registration of a facility that:
- Created, caused, or was otherwise responsible for such reasonable probability; or
- Knew of, or had reason to know of, such reasonable probability; and packed, received, or held such food.
FDA Actions on the Bioterrorism Act of 2002 Legislation
Important FDA Notice Regarding Firms Offering Registration Services
- Compliance Policy Guide Guidance for FDA Staff: Registration of Food Facilities
- Final Rule: Registration of Food Facilities Under the Public Health Security and Bioterrorism Preparedness and Response Act of 2002 (70 FR 57505)
October 3, 2005
- Booklet (SECG): What You Need to Know About Registration of Food Facilities
- Slide Presentation: Overview of Registration Interim Final Rule Implementing the Bioterrorism Act [ARCHIVED]
October 15, 2003
Fact Sheet on FDA's New Food Terrorism Regulation: Interim Final Rule - Registration of Food Facilities[ARCHIVED]
- Guidance for FDA Staff: CPG Sec 100 250 Food Facility Registration - Human and Animal Food (PDF - 47KB)
Important FDA Notice Regarding Firms Offering Registration Services Compliance Information on Food Facility Registration Registration Statistics Summary Report of the U.S. Food and Drug Administration's Initial Test of the Accuracy of the Emergency Contact/U.S. Agent Data in the Food Facilities Registration Database[ARCHIVED]