Furan is a chemical contaminant that forms in some foods during traditional heat treatment techniques, such as cooking, jarring, and canning. FDA has developed a method for quantitative furan measurements, surveyed furan levels in food, and conducted toxicology studies of furan in rodents.
- FDA Action Plan for Furan in Food September 1, 2005
Furan Survey Data
- Exploratory Data on Furan in Food: Individual Food Products September 21, 2009
- An Updated Exposure Assessment for Furan from the Consumption of Adult and Baby Foods April 18, 2007
- Furan in Food, Thermal Treament; Request for Data and Information Federal Register, May 10, 2004
Other Government Sources of Information
- Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau (TTB): Determination of Furan in Alcoholic Beverages