This risk assessment evaluates the effects, on consumers’ risk of listeriosis, of various steps and conditions in the production of soft-ripened cheese, and predicts how various simulated interventions affect that risk. Public comments that we (FDA) had solicited on a draft of the report have now been considered and incorporated in the report, as appropriate.
The objectives of the risk assessment were to:
- evaluate the effect of factors such as
- the microbiological status of milk,
- the impact of cheese-manufacturing steps, and
- conditions during distribution and storage
on the overall risk of invasive listeriosis soft-ripened cheese poses to consumers in the United States or Canada; and
- predict the effect of changes in process and intervention strategies on risk of listeriosis.
- Risk Assessment (PDF: 3MB)
- Interpretive Summary (PDF: 287KB)
- Draft Risk Assessment (PDF: 3.1MB)
- Draft Interpretive Summary (PDF: 276KB)
- Response to Public Comments Submitted to the Draft Report (PDF: 633KB)
Note: you may request access to the models and appendices related to this risk assessment by sending a note to FDAFoodSafetyRiskModel@fda.hhs.gov.
Federal Register Notices & Commenting
- View the Federal Register Notice requesting public comments on the draft of the report (comment period expired April 29, 2013).
- View submitted comments in Docket Folder FDA-2012-N-1182.
- View the Federal Register Notice announcing the Risk Assessment.