Animal & Veterinary

How to Report Animal Drug Side Effects and Product Problems

The FDA encourages veterinarians and animal owners to report adverse drug experiences and product defects associated with animal drugs or animal devices (such as thermometers, glucose meters and bandage materials). Adverse drug experiences can include side effects or other problems, like lack of effectiveness. Examples of product defects include broken tablets or leaking bottles. Report data are used to monitor the safety of products after they are marketed.

If you have a problem with:

Animal Drugs and Devices - contact the FDA (see instructions below)
Animal Vaccines - contact the USDA APHIS Center for Veterinary Biologics at (800) 752-6255
Flea and Tick Products (not approved by FDA) or Other Pesticides – contact the National Pesticide Information Centerdisclaimer icon at 800-858-7378

  • Some flea and tick products are regulated by FDA, and some are regulated by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). If you have a problem with a flea or tick product that is FDA approved, you should contact the FDA (see instructions below). The label of the product can help you determine if the product is an FDA-approved or an EPA-registered flea and tick product or other pesticide:
    • All FDA-approved animal drugs have a six-digit New Animal Drug Application (NADA) number, or for generic animal drugs, an Abbreviated New Animal Drug Application (ANADA) number. Many drug manufacturers list the six-digit NADA or ANADA number and the statement, “Approved by FDA,” on the drug’s label, although they aren’t required to do so. On the packaging for FDA-approved products you may see the following information: “NADA XXX-XXX Approved by the FDA.”
    • For EPA-registered products, look for an EPA registration number on the back panel of the package, usually near the manufacturer’s address: “EPA Reg. No.”

Reporting Information About Animal Drugs and Devices

You can report adverse drug experiences and product defects to FDA in one of the following ways: 

  1. For an FDA-approved product, we recommend calling the drug company to report the adverse drug experience or product defect. The law requires the drug company responsible for the approved product(s) to submit reports of adverse drug experiences and product defects to FDA. The drug company’s phone number can usually be found on the product’s labeling. When you call the drug company, tell them that you wish to report an adverse drug experience or product defect and ask to speak to a technical services veterinarian. The technical services veterinarian will ask you a series of questions about the event, will complete an adverse drug experience reporting form, and will forward the report to the FDA’s Center for Veterinary Medicine (CVM). The technical services veterinarian may also contact the veterinarian who treated your pet to obtain more information about the adverse drug experience.
  2. If you prefer to report directly to the FDA, you can submit FORM FDA 1932a, "Veterinary Adverse Experience, Lack of Effectiveness or Product Defect Report". The 1932a form is a pre-addressed, pre-paid postage form which can be completed and sent through the U.S. Mail. You can use this form to report adverse drug experiences for any animal drug (approved or unapproved by FDA) or animal device. Unapproved drugs include compounded drug products.

    Reports should preferably include a good medical history; the names and amounts of all drugs, products marketed as supplements, or vitamins the animal has been given; current type and/or brand of pet food and treats; information about any recent surgeries; and as much information about the clinical findings as possible. Clinical findings may include: veterinary examination findings; bloodwork, urinalysis, and fecal exam results; radiographic findings; hemodynamic data such as blood pressure; and neurologic test results.

    In regards to unapproved products, you also should report the problem to the manufacturer or distributor shown on the label and to the store where you purchased the product.

    If you need a hard copy of the form, you can call us at 1-888-FDA-VETS (1-888-332-8387), or you can write to the following address:

    Document Control Unit (HFV-199)
    Attention: Division of Veterinary Product Safety
    Center for Veterinary Medicine
    Food and Drug Administration
    7500 Standish Place
    Rockville, MD 20855-2764

    For questions about reporting or to request a Form FDA 1932a by mail, please call the FDA Center for Veterinary Medicine at: 1-888-FDA-VETS (1-888-332-8387). Leave your name, address, phone number, and the brand name of the drug involved. Ask to have a 1932a form sent or ask for the phone number of the drug company you should call to report the problem.

    IMPORTANT: The identities of all persons and animals are held in strict confidence by FDA and are protected to the fullest extent of the law.


Page Last Updated: 02/22/2016
Note: If you need help accessing information in different file formats, see Instructions for Downloading Viewers and Players.
Language Assistance Available: Español | 繁體中文 | Tiếng Việt | 한국어 | Tagalog | Русский | العربية | Kreyòl Ayisyen | Français | Polski | Português | Italiano | Deutsch | 日本語 | فارسی | English