The Center for Biologics Evaluation and Research (CBER) uses sound science and regulatory expertise to:
- Protect and improve public and individual health in the United States and, where feasible, globally;
- Facilitate the development, approval of, and access to safe and effective products and promising new technologies; and
- Strengthen CBER as a preeminent regulatory organization for biologics.
To ensure the safety, purity, potency, and effectiveness of biological products including vaccines, blood and blood products, and cells, tissues, and gene therapies for the prevention, diagnosis, and treatment of human diseases, conditions, or injury. Through our mission, we also help to defend the public against the threats of emerging infectious diseases and bioterrorism.
In fulfilling our mission as a Center in the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, we apply the following principles with the highest ethical standards and integrity:
- Develop, maintain, and support a high-quality and diverse workforce;
- Ensure compliance with laws and regulations through review, education, surveillance, and enforcement; and
- Conduct research as an essential element of science-based decision-making.