Principal Investigator(s): Andrew A. Strasser and Cristine Delnevo
Funding Mechanism: National Institutes of Health – TCORS Grant
ID number: 1 U54 CA229973-01
Award Date: 9/14/18
Institution: University of Pennsylvania and Rutgers University
Tobacco advertisements are an important marketing vehicle that allows companies to prominently and creatively feature brand imagery and benefit claims, including those that might suggest modified risk. In addition, tobacco packaging uniquely provides repeated opportunities to express brand image and implicitly convey brand attractiveness, quality and health appeals to consumers every time the product is used. The goal of the University of Pennsylvania – Rutgers University TCORS is to accumulate a comprehensive and rigorous body of knowledge on the effects of tobacco communication, including advertising, marketing, packaging and labeling, on regulatory-relevant outcomes of risk perceptions, use, behavior and exposure for combustible tobacco products, given their disproportional burden on public health. The UPenn & Rutgers TCORS includes four projects. Project 1 will study the effects of cigarette package color on smoking behavior, exposure and risk perception when using low nicotine content cigarettes. Project 2 will examine the effects of advertising and correctives for reduced harm tobacco products. Project 3 will study the influence of cigarillo packaging and labeling on young adults. Project 4 will examine products that have descriptors that may imply modified risk.
UPenn/Rutgers TCORS Examining the Effects of Advertising, Packaging and Labeling Related Resources
- UPenn/Rutgers TCORS Project 1: The Effects of Cigarette Package Color on Smoking Behavior, Exposure and Risk Perception when using Low Nicotine Content Cigarettes
- UPenn/Rutgers TCORS Project 2: The Effects of Advertising and Correctives for Reduced Harm Tobacco Products
- UPenn/Rutgers TCORS Project 3: Influence of Cigarillo Packaging and Labeling on Young Adults
- UPenn/Rutgers TCORS Project 4: Examining Product Descriptors in Natural American Spirit Cigarette Marketing
- The original scientific abstract and other project information can be found on the NIH website.