“This life is non-toxic…”
There are more than 2 million lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) young adults ages 18-24 living in the United States.1 These LGBT young adults are nearly twice as likely to use tobacco as other young adults, ultimately resulting in the loss of tens of thousands of LGBT lives to tobacco use each year2 .
“This Free Life” is designed to prevent and reduce tobacco use among LGBT young adults who occasionally use tobacco. Authentic and credible messages from tobacco-free members of the LGBT community encourage these young adults to draw inspiration from their peers to also live tobacco-free.
LGBT young adults looking for This Free Life can find us at our campaign site.
Our goal is to keep "This Free Life" campaign an authentic and effective tobacco prevention brand. The campaign website and social channels are intended for the campaign target audience only.
The campaign reflects LGBT young adults’ desire to be “free” as it relates to their lives and experiences and connects this desire to the importance of being free from tobacco.
“This Free Life” appeals to the shared values, similar life experiences, and common interests of LGBT young adults. The essence of the campaign is expressed through its tagline: “Freedom to Be, Tobacco-Free.” Key messages focus on:
- The negative health consequences and addiction risks of tobacco use;
- The dangerous mix of chemicals found in cigarette smoke; and
- How tobacco use negatively affects aspects of life that are very important to LGBT young adults while a tobacco-free lifestyle aligns with LGBT ideals.
View more “This Free Life” ads on our YouTube Channel.
- Hermes Awards
- 2018 Platinum: Social Marketing Campaign category
- 2018 Platinum: Social Video category
- 2018 Platinum: YouTube Video category.
- Telly Awards
- 2018 Gold: “Public Interest & Awareness for Online” category for the Tip the Scale series
- 2018 Bronze: “Lighting for Branded Content” category for the Tip the Scale series
- 2018 Bronze: “Public Service and Activism for Social Video” category for The Flawless Experiment
- 2017 Bronze: Cultural category for Video / Shows / Segments
- Ad Pop Awards 2017 Gold: Non-Profit category for print ads
- Shorty Social Good Awards 2017 Finalist: Tumblr category.
- Association of National Advertisers (ANA)
- 2017 Winner: Multicultural Excellence Award LGBT category
- 2016 Grand Prize: Multicultural Excellence Award
1 Gates GJ, and Newport F. (2012). Special Report: 3.4% of U.S. Adults Identify as LGBT. Washington, DC: Gallup, Inc.
2 Lee JGL, Griffin GK, and Melvin CL. (2009). Tobacco use among sexual minorities, USA, 1987-2007 (May): a systematic review. Tob Control, Online First.