SM Fish Corp Recalls Select Ossie's Ready To Eat Herring Salads Because of Possible Health Risk
- Company Announcement Date:
- July 29, 2016
- FDA Publish Date:
- February 09, 2019
- Product Type:
- Food & Beverages
Food & Beverage Safety
- Reason for Announcement:
- Company Name:
- SM Fish Corp.
- Brand Name:
- Product Description:
Product DescriptionReady-to-eat Herring Salads
SM Fish Corp. of Far Rockaway, NY, is voluntarily recalling OSSIE’S brand ready-to-eat Herring Salads because they have the potential to be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes, an organism which can cause serious and sometimes fatal infections in young children, frail or elderly people, and others with weakened immune systems. Although healthy individuals may suffer only short-term symptoms such as high fever, severe headache, stiffness, nausea, abdominal pain and diarrhea, Listeria infection can cause miscarriages and stillbirths among pregnant women.
The recalled products were sold at the firm’s eight retail outlets located in New York and New Jersey.
The recalled products were packed in plastic deli containers with a UPC Code and “Best By” date codes of 7/21/16 through 08/20/16 (located on the bottom of the tub):
- OSSIE’S PICKLED LOX DAIRY, NET WT. 8 OZ., UPC 739885114136;
- OSSIE’S HERRING IN SOURCREAM, NET WT. 8 OZ., UPC 739885114174;
- OSSIE’S TAAM SHABBOS HERRING, NET WT. 7 OZ., UPC 739885109057;
- OSSIES’S STIGLITZ HERRING, NET WT. 7 OZ., UPC 739885109064;
- OSSIE’S WASABI HERRING, NET WT. 7 OZ., UPC 739885109088;
- OSSIE’S SWEDISH MATJES HERRING, NET WT. 7 OZ., UPC 739885109101;
- OSSIE’S DUBLIN HERRING, NET WT. 7 OZ., UPC 739885109002;
- OSSIE’S HONEY MUSTARD HERRING; NET WT. 7 OZ. 739885109019;
- OSSIE’S PICKLED LOX & CREAM, NET WT. 8 OZ., UPC 739885104113;
- OSSIE’S SHMALTZ HERRING, NET WT. 8 OZ., UPC 739885104182;
- OSSIE’S ROMAN SHMALTZ HERRING, NET WT. 7 OZ., UPC 739885109026;
- OSSIE’S PICKLED HERRING, NET WT. 8 OZ., UPC 739885104175;
- OSSIE’S PICKLED HERRING CLEAR, NET WT. 8 OZ., UPC 739885104205;
- OSSIE’S PICKLED LOX, NET WT. 8 OZ., UPC 739885104137.
No illnesses have been reported to date.
The recall was the result of sampling and inspectional findings by the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA). FDA found listeria in multiple locations throughout the facility. SM Fish Corp. has ceased production and distribution of products following discussion with FDA on July 27. The company and the FDA continue their investigation as to the cause of the problem.
Consumers who have purchased any of the above listed products are urged not to consume them and promptly return them to the place of purchase for a full refund. Consumers with questions may contact the company at (718) 945-9838, Monday - Friday, 9 am - 4 pm EDT, or via email at: email@example.com.
SM FISH CORP