FDA’s priority is your health and safety. While everyone’s daily lives are impacted during the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) pandemic, the impact may be even greater on older adults and people of any age who have chronic medical conditions.
If you are not feeling well or have any questions about your health, please contact your health care provider (e.g., doctor, nurse).
Below are resources to help address questions patients may have about FDA-regulated medical products (drugs, biologics, devices) and COVID-19.
FDA is committed to keeping you informed regarding the latest information and resources for COVID-19. Learn more at FDA.gov/coronavirus.
- The Center for Devices and Radiological Health (CDRH): Medical Devices and the COVID-19 (Coronavirus) Pandemic
- The Center for Drug Evaluation and Research (CDER): Coronavirus (COVID-19) Drugs
COVID-19 Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) FAQs
- Preguntas más frecuentes acerca de la Enfermedad del Coronavirus 2019 (COVID-19)
- FDA Continues to Ensure Availability of Alcohol-Based Hand Sanitizer During the COVID-19 Pandemic, Addresses Safety Concerns
- Q&A for Consumers: Hand Sanitizers and COVID-19
- FDA provides guidance on production of alcohol-based hand sanitizer to help boost supply, protect public health
- FDA Provides New Tool to Aid Development and Evaluation of Diagnostic Tests That Detect SARS-CoV-2 Infection
- Coronavirus Testing Basics
- FDA Authorizes First Standalone At-Home Sample Collection Kit That Can Be Used With Certain Authorized Tests
- FDA Informs Public About Possible Accuracy Concerns with Abbott ID NOW Point-of-Care Test
- FDA Authorizes First Antigen Test to Help in the Rapid Detection of the Virus that Causes COVID-19 in Patients
- FDA Authorizes First Diagnostic Test Using At-Home Collection of Saliva Specimens
- FDA Authorizes First Test for Patient At-Home Sample Collection
- FDA, Gates Foundation, UnitedHealth Group, Quantigen, and U.S. Cotton Collaborate to Address Testing Supply Needs
- FDA Takes New Actions to Accelerate Development of Novel Prevention, Treatment Options for COVID-19
- What is an Emergency Use Authorization (EUA)?
- FDA Includes Ventilator Developed by NASA in Ventilator Emergency Use Authorization
- FDA Reiterates Importance of Close Patient Supervision for ‘Off-Label’ Use of Antimalarial Drugs to Mitigate Known Risks, Including Heart Rhythm Problems
- FDA cautions against use of hydroxychloroquine or chloroquine for COVID-19 outside of the hospital setting or a clinical trial due to risk of heart rhythm problems
- The Path Forward: Coronavirus Treatment Acceleration Program
- FDA Authorizes Blood Purification Device to Treat COVID-19
- FDA Continues to Accelerate Development of Novel Therapies for COVID-19
- Medical Devices and the COVID-19 (Coronavirus) Pandemic
- FDA advises patients on use of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) for COVID-19
Serological Tests (antibodies)
- FDA Provides Promised Transparency for Antibody Tests
- Serological Test Validation and Education Efforts
- Serological tests to detect the body’s immune response to the infection caused by the virus
- FDA Coordinates National Effort to Develop Blood-Related Therapies for COVID-19
Information on Donating Blood and Plasma
- Video--Donate Blood and Plasma to Make a Difference
- FDA Encourages Recovered Patients to Donate Plasma for Development of Blood-Related Therapies
- Donate COVID-19 Plasma
- Blood Donations
- FDA Provides Updated Guidance to Address the Urgent Need for Blood During the Pandemic
- Federal judge enters temporary injunction against Xephyr LLC doing business as N-Ergetics, preventing sale of Colloidal Silver Products for COVID-19
- FDA Continues to Combat Fraudulent COVID-19 Medical Products
- Fraudulent Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) Products
- Federal judge enters temporary injunction against Genesis II Church of Health and Healing, preventing sale of Chlorine Dioxide Products Equivalent to Industrial Bleach to Treat COVID-19
- FDA Warns Seller Marketing Dangerous Chlorine Dioxide Products that Claim to Treat or Prevent COVID-19
- FDA Alerts Consumers About Unauthorized Fraudulent COVID-19 Test Kits
- Report Fraudulent Products
Do you have questions or concerns regarding possible medical product (drug, biologic, device) shortages?
To report any potential or actual shortage of a medical device or radiation-emitting product:
Phone: 1-800-638-2041 or (301) 796-7100
Are you a patient currently enrolled in a clinical trial? You may have questions about the status of your trial during the COVID-19 pandemic. FDA encourages you to contact your clinical trial investigator and healthcare team about the trial and your care.
Expanded access is a potential pathway for your licensed physician/doctor to take if trying an investigational product (drug, biologic, or medical device) for treatment is right for you.
- Learn About Expanded Access and Other Treatment Options
- Expanded Access: Information for Patients
- Expanded Access for Medical Devices
- Patients Matter Video: Learn about Expanded Access
- Best Practices for Re-Opening Retail Food Establishments During the COVID-19 Pandemic
- Video--12 Tips for Grocery Shopping During the Pandemic
- Video--FDA: Food Access and COVID-19
- Video--What You Need to Know: Food and COVID-19 PSA with Frank Yiannas
- Shopping for Food During the COVID-19 Pandemic
- Food Safety and Availability During the Coronavirus Pandemic
- FDA Offers Assurance About Food Safety and Supply for People and Animals During COVID-19
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has online COVID-19 resources with advice on how to protect yourself and what to do if you become ill.
Smithsonian Science Education Center and the World Health Organization (WHO) launched a curriculum for youth ages 8-17 (available in over 15 languages) to better understand the current pandemic.
- COVID-19! How Can I Protect Myself and Others? (English)
- COVID-19! How Can I Protect Myself and Others? (additional languages)