| 2004D-0343 - Draft Guidance for Industry and Food and Drug Administration Staff; Hospital Bed System Dimensional Guidance to Reduce Entrapment; Availability|
|FDA Comment Number :||EC21|
|Submitter :||Ms. Ted Cohen||Date & Time:||12/10/2004 05:12:15|
|Organization :||UC Davis Health System|
| Take a common sense approach as recommended by ASHE including:
- first consider the patient population that is served and their risk for bed rail entrapment
- then, only if appropriate, focus on the bed rail dimensions.
- testing all beds is neither an effective solution nor proper use of resources.
- Conducting a periodic sample of your hospital beds to verify that they are in good repair
- properly select beds, and mattresses that properly fit those beds, for your patient population
- identify patients ?at risk? for bed rail entrapment, and select the appropriate bed for them.