- August 13, 2019
- Organized By:
Summary: On Tuesday, August 13, 2019, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) will host a webinar on two FDA Innovation Challenges to spur the development of new approaches to device sterilization.
Background: In response to the February 2019 closure of a large device sterilization facility, the FDA is taking steps to ensure that hospitals, health care providers, and patients have access to medical devices that are safely and effectively sterilized.
On July 15, 2019, the FDA announced the launch of two public innovation challenges to encourage innovation in medical device sterilization.
- Challenge 1 is focused on identifying alternatives to ethylene oxide (EtO) sterilization methods.
- Challenge 2 is focused on developing strategies to reduce ethylene oxide (EtO) emissions.
The FDA’s Center for Devices and Radiological Health will accept applications for this challenge from July 15, 2019 through October 15, 2019.
The FDA encourages participation in this challenge from organizations such as:
- Medical device companies or distributors
- Technology manufacturers (including start-up companies or labs)
- Academic and research institutions
- Healthcare facilities
- Professional societies
- Foundations and other non-profits