Seeking Software Engineers, Health Scientists, Clinicians
The FDA seeks software engineers, artificial intelligence and machine learning engineers, security researchers, user interface and user experience designers, and product managers to be a part of the Division of Digital Health.
Digital Health Advisor Job Description
At the FDA, we are building a dynamic Digital Health Center of Excellence team whose mission is to protect and advance public health by helping to speed innovations that provide our nation with safe and effective digital health technologies. We are seeking candidates for multiple positions with a variety of expertise in delivering digital health technologies. This position is located on FDA's White Oak Campus in Silver Spring, Maryland.
By joining the Digital Health Center of Excellence team, you will be at the forefront to advance medical science, create new opportunities and create a regulatory environment that brings safe and effective digital health technology to market. The Center of Excellence works collaboratively with internal and external customers to advance digital health. The Digital Heath Unit is a startup within the FDA's Center for Devices and Radiological Health (CDRH) that works collaboratively with internal and external customers to advance Digital health. We are an interdisciplinary group of experts pooling our technology, business, scientific, clinical, and public health expertise to promote and protect public health. We are looking for digital health experts to join us on this exciting and cutting-edge health care transformation journey and lead as agents of change at the FDA for the digital health future.
As a Digital Health Advisor, you will primarily serve as an expert who understands what it takes to develop, deliver, and maintain high quality digital health technologies during the FDA's review and evaluation of digital health technologies. Partnering with internal subject matter experts and external business and technology leaders, your goal is to stay current on technological advances, health benefits and risks, best practices, and help in development of the FDA's digital health policies and ongoing regulatory clarity.
Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Participate in the review and evaluation of first-of-a-kind digital health technology and participate in precedent-setting research.
- Identify opportunities in creating preconditions and incentives informing digital health policy proposals, meeting the FDA's mission to protect and promote public health while supporting technological advances.
- Provide advice, consultations, and training to internal and external experts on current state of digital health technologies, policies, and functionalities.
- Assist with identifying and evaluating technology solutions that will enhance internal processes for FDA's Center for Devices and Radiological Health.
What is the FDA looking for in candidates?
- Comfortable in a fast-paced, customer-oriented, and flexible environment.
- A bias toward action and a proven track record of delivering projects and products.
- Have excellent communication skills to engage an organization of multiple specialties.
- Ability to actively seek out multiple opinions yet make independent decisions and influence positive outcomes.
- Have practical experience and technical expertise focusing on one or more areas of digital health, including:
- Mobile medical apps, medical device interoperability, and health care cybersecurity.
- Digital therapeutics, machine learning, artificial intelligence, and novel digital health technology.
- Digital health product development, software as a medical device.
- Big data and advanced analytics, cloud storage, and computing and wireless communication.
Location: Silver Spring, Maryland (White Oak Campus)
Application Period: Tuesday October 20, 2020 through Tuesday November 20, 2020
Salary: Salary is commensurate with education and experience
Telework Eligible: Yes, as determined by supervisor
Conditions of Employment: United States Citizenship is required
Special Notes: This position is being filled under an excepted hiring authority, Title 21, Section 3072 of the 21st Century Cures Act. The candidate selected for this position will serve under a career or career-conditional appointment and be paid under the provisions of the authority. Additional information on 21st Century Cures Act can be found here.
This is a confidential filing position. As such, this position is subject to FDA's prohibited financial interest regulation and may require the incumbent of this position to divest of certain financial interests. If selected, the employee must complete FDA's ethics preclearance requirements and file a financial disclosure report (OGE-450) prior to receiving an official offer of employment.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits: Working in Government-Benefits.
Conditions of Employment
- One-year probationary period may be required.
- Background and/or Security investigation required.
- U.S. citizenship is required.
- All applicants born male, on (or after) 12/31/1959, must be registered with the Selective Service System OR have an approved exemption. Visit www.SSS.gov for more info.
- This position is subject to strict prohibited financial interest regulations which could restrict the type of financial interest (stock holdings) for the employee, the spouse, and minor children of the employee. For additional information on the prohibited financial interests, please visit the FDA Ethics and Integrity Office website.
Background Investigation Requirement
All employees must pass a security investigation. Failing to pass the background check may be grounds for removal or legal action. If hired, you may be subject to additional investigations at a later date.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process should follow the instructions in the job opportunity announcement. For any part of the remaining hiring process, applicants should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change to a job, the work environment, or the way things are usually done that enables an individual with a disability to apply for a job, perform job duties or receive equal access to job benefits.
Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodations when: An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job. An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace. An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
You can request a reasonable accommodation at any time during the application or hiring process or while on the job. Requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Why is the FDA a great place to work?
The FDA offers great employee benefits, and we promote healthy work/life balance with flexible scheduling and telework as well as many on-campus amenities including a childcare center, a free fitness facility with a variety of classes, and more. The FDA's location in Montgomery County, Maryland, near Washington, DC, offers great public schools, public transportation, and a wealth of cultural and recreational choices.
How do I find out more?
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with subject: "Resume."