News and Events
The News and Events page contains current information about international program activities at home and abroad.
Food Safety Study Released
On October 23rd, 2018, the World Bank released a groundbreaking study, The Safe Food Imperative: Accelerating Progress in Low- and Middle-Income Countries, which was funded by the US Food and Drug Administration. The study finds that unsafe foods cost these countries about $110 billion in lost productivity and medical expenses each year. The study explores examples of effective food safety management being practiced around the world that are low cost and novel approaches to food safety regulation. It argues for sustained investments in prevention, including ones that build countries’ core competencies to manage food safety risks, and motivate and empower many different actors, from farm to fork, to act responsibly, with consumer health in mind. The FDA is excited to share the findings of this report and emphasize the essential need to invest in food safety regulatory systems.
- Study: The Safe Food Imperative: Accelerating Progress in Low- and Middle-Income Countries
Jaffee, Steven; Henson, Spencer; Unnevehr, Laurian; Grace, Delia; Cassou, Emilie. 2018. The Safe Food Imperative : Accelerating Progress in Low- and Middle-Income Countries. Agriculture and Food Series;. Washington, DC: World Bank. © World Bank. https://openknowledge.worldbank.org/handle/10986/30568 License: CC BY 3.0 IGO.
- Downloadable PDF of the report
- Press release: Food-borne Illnesses Cost US $110 Billion Per Year in Low- and Middle-Income Countries
Report on the International API inspection program published
- European Medicines Agency press release: Increasing oversight of API manufacturing through international collaboration (April 2018)
FDA Voice Blogs
- FDA Collaborates to Promote Safety, Quality in Clinical Trials Done in India (July 2017)
- FDA in India: Championing a Culture of Quality (March 2017)
- Addressing Global Challenges through Transatlantic Cooperation (July 2016)
- Practical Applications of FDA Regulations for the Indian Food Industry (July 2016)
- The United Nations Sustainable Development Goals: Efficient and effective regulatory systems are the tide that raises all boats (July 2016)
- A Closer Look at Tea and Rice: FDA Brings FSMA Outreach to Japan (February 2016)
- Strengthening Partnerships: FDA's China Office Engages in Key Outreach with Chinese Provincial FDA, Academia, and Industry (April 2016)
- A FSMA Update for our Stakeholders in India (March 2016)
- In a Country Full of Differences, Common Ground (March 2016)
- Strengthening our Regulatory Relationships in India (February 2016)